Need Traction!!!!

cudax

I knew this was going to happen but since I finished the 496 and got the car back on the road, I have traction issues. The rear breaks loose with very little throttle. I am running 12 bolt 3.31 posi, new boxed upper/lower control arms, all polyurathane bushings, 245x60-15 BF Goodrich Radials & new rear moog cargo springs.

My question is, other than drag radials what are you drag strip guys using for aftermarket traction parts where you can still keep your rear sway bar? Most of the stuff I see doesn't allow you to keep the sway bar such as ladder bars.

Does Competition Engineering or someone like that make anything that works good for our cars?

Thanks,

Mike

Morning Mike I see you are running 245/60 on the rear of the car what brand tire is it? I have a friend where she could spin the rear tires easy with a taller coil spring, once the spring was changed she had a harder time spinning the rear tires. I've also seen where a different compound for the tire will stop the traction issue as well.

With a 496 there will be little that will help wheel spin other than a light right foot. Believe it or not but a 3.73 gear might help get the car moving easier with less throttle.

You failed to mention what rear shocks you are running? Drag Radials will help on the street and fix it at the track but running in the rain can be challenging. A tight stock suspension is all you need and again, life is about imformation. What convertor are you running?

I suspect there is nothing wrong with you or the car besides that poop eating grin you get when you hit the loud pedal. Kudos kid, you did good!

Thanks for the info guys! When I bought the car the springs were so wore that the back tires would rub so I put on Moog CC's and air shocks for a quick fix. Still running the air shocks temporarily until I can decide on a good rear shock. Also, I am running a 10" converter with a 3400 stall on a TH400. Tires are Goodrich Radials. Thinking about rolling the rear fenders to fit a larger tire.

I just thought someone out there was running something aftermarket, Competition Engineering for example, to help with traction. I was trying to avoid different gears because I run the interstate every now and then. As mentioned before, I want to keep the rear sway bar.

Thanks Again,

Mike

This is a bit off topic but could you tell me exactly what your rear moog cargo springs are. I need a spring that will bring the back end up a few extra inches.

You want a set of cargo coils for a el camino. Just make sure your shocks still have a couple of inches of extension left.