Replacing a master cylinder and vacuum booster

MCfan

I have searched prior posts and Tech Archives to see if anyone has ever posted a photo journal on a project to replace a master cylinder and/or vacuum booster on a first gen Monte. There are numerous discussion threads, but I can’t find any project photos (although there may be one or more out there that I missed). If not, I will at least post a link to the one I just finished.

Mine is geared to help a novice/hobbyist, like myself, with a DIY project and will probably insult the intelligence of any experienced gearhead. A couple of things I can say is that the brakes on my ’70 Monte Carlo SS now work great, I learned some useful lessons and the new master cylinder/booster assembly looks better under the hood (IMO, of course).

So, for what it’s worth … Replacing a master cylinder and vacuum booster project photo journal

P9083665.jpg

I've tried to do something like that and take pictures as I assemble something, but stopping every couple of minutes to take a clear picture is hard to do. Your write-up was nicely done. I'm lucky if I get a "before and after" shot.

tequila_shot153231442_std1.jpg

I've tried to do something like that and take pictures as I assemble something, but stopping every couple of minutes to take a clear picture is hard to do. Your write-up was nicely done. I'm lucky if I get a "before and after" shot.

tequila_shot153231442_std1.jpg

Well, Mark, I think I see why you may have some difficulity in taking clear pictures during your projects! grin

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone. It does take extra time, of course, but usually time is what I have the most of, being retired and living the good live now. Just wish I had more kowledge, experience and skill to do these projects, but I learn a lot every time. If I can help or encourage another novice even a little bit by sharing what worked and didn't for me, I am happy to do it. I receive far more value from this club than I'll ever be able to contribute!