Replacing rear coil springs

Kane

jack up the rear of the car safely

unbolt the lower rear shock mounting bolts and carefully lower the rear axle with another jack

the rear coils should basically fall out...

Just to add to Andreas and Scott's posts. Both of them are right but if you have never done it before.....

1) Place floor jack under differential and raise the car enough to install jack stands under the frame just in front of the rear wheel well.

2) Leave the floor jack in place and then unbolt the lower portion of the shocks.

3) Check our how the shocks are nestled in the lower and upper spring seats. If I remember correctly, it is either the front or rear springs are not totaly flat on the top and bottom and there may be an area where the end of the spring seats but I can't remember for sure.

4) SLOWLY lower the floor jack under the differential and the springs should almost fall out.

5) I would suggest as long as you are doing this, you may want to go ahead and replace the shocks at the same time.

There are different stiffness of springs which depends upon how much you want to the car to ride as original or if you want a stiffer ride or to raise or lower the rear end.

Rob

You will also notice that the cc501 are a thicker spring than your removing and may also be shorter this is normal. the tight coils go at the top. You may have to pull the one side of the rear end down a little to install the new ones, a jack on the opposite side works well too. The insulators go on the top not the bottom I suggest new ones unless the old ones are real good. Be carefull springs can hurt you.

• 4 weeks later...