Driveshaft Balancing

MGD72Monte

My car has had a vibration in the rear at highway speeds eversince I can remember. I have refurbished or replaced everything in the rear, including the wheels and tires. I'm thinking it might be the driveshaft or the yoke. I did measure more runout than recommended, hard to tell if due to driveshaft or yoke. Anyone had any experience having driveshafts checked for balance and/or straightness? Any tips/theories?

Thanks

Reindex it see if that helps. get it up on stands and remove the rear shaft bolts pull it off pinion yoke and turn it 180 and reconnect it and try it. you can also run it while up on stands and check the runout on the shaft that way. You may have to take it to a drive shaft place to have it ballanced.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll try the re-indexing. If that doesn't work, I'll take the driveshaft to a shop.

The U-joints are in good shape, the rear one has been changed relatively recently so I don't think it is an issue. The ride height was changed a few years ago when I installed stock height springs but not sure how that would cause a vibration and what the fix would be? Sam can add to what you mean?

My nephew lived with this problem for years with his 57 Chevy till he took it to a rear axle shop that found several different things like drive shaft, U-Joints, axle bearings. He was very happy when they finished.

At stock ride height, the angles should be ok. It's when you raise the rear end that the angles change and cause issue.

It's also possible that your angles are wrong bcause of bad bushings in the rear control arms (uppers or lowers).

Because you really don't know what the problem is, I'd take the whole car into the driveline balance place and describe your problem. Let them check it out and advise you. They can check the angles and straighness and such and confirm they solved the problem with a test drive. If you simply remove the driveshaft and carry it to them, they will balance it and it may/may not correct the problem.