Aluminum Trans Pan filter extention ??

snomobeelr

So I went and bought a B&M Aluminum Trans pan for my TH400. Part number 20280. They have a filter extension for that is supposed to be used with the standard depth stock filter tube. It makes the filter tube longer. It seems odd and not to sturdy. I understand new pan is deeper so I assume it is to move the filter lower.. Does anyone know if this is necassary?

Thanks

I think the original setup had the filter almost held up by the pan, or the filter rests against the dimples in the bottom anyway. I don't think you really need to lower the level of the filter to have it submerged with your new pan, but the question is whether the filter will stay in place without the pan for support?

It's been a long time since I've been in there, I'm sorta thinking out loud here.

if the pan is stock depth you're fine with out the extension, but if it is a deep pan, you'll need the tube extension to keep the pick up/ filter in the fluid or you'll have problem.

thanh

As stated above, it is very very important to use the extension. The filter is always to be near the bottom of the pan regardless of the depth of the pan. That being said, you will want to test fit the pan with the pan gasket as you may need to sand/grind some of the inner pan nipples(holds the the bottom side of the filter) to get the proper fit. I have deep pans on three of my vehicles and one needed to have the inner pan nipples ground down probably about an 1/8 of an inch. Keep in mind, if you have to perform this procedure, use caution as the material comes off quickly. - Dave

I Placed the extension in. Used the Bolt and nut they said to use. Got it all lined up. Then noticed the bracket for the shifter will not bolt up with this pan.. I guess I should have looked into the pan a little more before jumping in. Think I will look into another pan.

I had started to grind down the Shifter bracket that mounts to the Trans pan. As I was looking at it though it looked as if I would have to grind down too much and it would not work.. So I ordered a Hughes Pan which appears to have the same Ridge for the Mounting bolts as the Steel pan.. I hope