Frame Identification

Hi guys....I hope Im in the right area....

Are the chevelle frames and the monte frames identical? If not is there a way to tell which I have? I bought a nice frame from someone (not a member on here), but he mostly sells chevelle stuff, and I just want to make sure its a monte frame before I go and have it powder coated.

Thanks!

The Monte has it's own frame. The Monte frame is similar to the Chevelle from the firewall back but there is an extra 4 inches added to the wheelbase in front of the firewall. The frame ahead of the front wheels is longer too by about 4 inches.

The Chevelle 2-door has a 112" wheelbase while the Monte has a 116" wheelbase. The Chevelle 4-door and Elcamino also have a 116 inch wheelbase.

The Monte frame is longer from the cowl area to the front horn on the frame. A Chevelle frame will not fit as the wheel base is 114" center to center where a Monte is 116". Also the motor mounts on the cross member will be in a different location for a Chevelle then a Monte. On my Monte my motor mounts are towards the rear of the cross member where on a Chevelle its on the front side.

• 2 weeks later...

Easily identifiable with pictures. The shape of the frame from the firewall to the front control arms is a totally different shape from a Chevelle. That's why a 4 speed cross shaft bracket is different from a Chevelle to a Monte. Post a picture.