Need advice for a low end torque - L48

Shnalla

Hi,

I want to wake up my 1972 stock L48 engine. I do not want a race engine, just something a Monte Carlo deserve .

Everything is stock for now (just a true dual exhaust).

I'm going to put aluminum heads ( 64cc, 2.02 / 1.60), keep my stock pistons for the moment.

I need advice for a good low end torque intake manifold and a cam that keep the drivability.

(Sorry guys for my bad english, I come from France...).

Thanks !

Hi, Romain,

Actually, your English is as good or better than many of us use when we post on this site - and we don't have the excuse of living in France! grin

Sorry I can't help answer your technical questions, but there are plenty of other members who are qualified to do so. I'm sure you will be hearing from one or more of them soon.

Meanwhile, welcome to the club and good luck with your engine revitalization project!

Your english is just fine. Check out the for sale section. Crazy Dave, a very trusted member here, has some heads prepped and ready to go and can match you up with a cam/lifter package that will wake that s/b up. The heads are just right for a street cruiser and would fit your needs Just PM him and he will get back with you.

Do you know your rear gear ratio?

David

Hi, Romain,

Actually, your English is as good or better than many of us use when we post on this site - and we don't have the excuse of living in France! grin

Meanwhile, welcome to the club and good luck with your engine revitalization project!

Thank you Dennis wink

Originally Posted By: dbreese
Your english is just fine. Check out the for sale section. Crazy Dave, a very trusted member here, has some heads prepped and ready to go and can match you up with a cam/lifter package that will wake that s/b up. The heads are just right for a street cruiser and would fit your needs Just PM him and he will get back with you.

Do you know your rear gear ratio?

David

No, I will check the build sheet to decode the rear gear ratio. I guess it's the most common one...

I know something like 3.31 would help, but i do not want my engine to run too high at cruise speed wink

Any other advice to wake-up my sluggish L48 with a good cam and a good intake ?

btw, what's the difference between un single and dual plane when it comes to low end torque ?

a gear change will work best for bottom torque, I'm betting you have a 2.73:1 gear ratio

Sam, as I said before, I do not want to change my gear. I want to keep low rpm while cruising. ( Here in France, most of our highway are limited to 80 Mph... )

Hi,

I want to wake up my 1972 stock L48 engine. I do not want a race engine, just something a Monte Carlo deserve .

Everything is stock for now (just a true dual exhaust).

I'm going to put aluminum heads ( 64cc, 2.02 / 1.60), keep my stock pistons for the moment.

I need advice for a good low end torque intake manifold and a cam that keep the drivability.

(Sorry guys for my bad english, I come from France...).

Thanks !

Hi Romain, for one of my previous Monte's I did the same thing as you're looking to do. For an intake a simple dual plane will be the best choice, something like an Edelbrock Performer would be fine. For a carburetor I wouldn't go much bigger than a 600-650, I prefer a Holley but some guys like the Edelbrock series carbs. I good exhaust system will be necessary, if you put more air and fuel in you have to get it out. Some 1 5/8" headers and a clean 2 1/2" exhaust system will do the trick.

You need to give the gears some serious thought, I know you don't want to hurt your high speed cruising but you don't have to. I'm guessing an L48 probably has a 12 bolt so could be 2.56 or 2.73 in there now. Going to something like a 3.08 won't hurt your cruising and will help "wake it up" a ton.

I have those exact heads available and can help you with a cam and lifter package if you don't have them already, just let me know if I can help...Davey

I have to agree with Dave. A little more gear would help. Small runner heads, and dual plane intake, A cam for torque, Small tube headers and dual exhaust. Good luck with it!

Not an easy improvement but replacing the THM-350 with an overdrive transmission will help at booth ends. Almost all vehicles built since the mid 1980's have had an overdrive.

Bruce

Thank you all !

I bought a (brand new) 2 1/2" exhaust system before the car leaves US cool

For the carb, I do not want to bigger than my Quadrajet. (maybe rejet it if needed).

Ok for a simple dual plane intake (it was my first idea).

For the heads, I have to find a great price, taxes + shipping are a pain in the a** !

I have found these heads on jegs... Maybe not the best i can find, but it should do the trick !

And of course, a HEI and a good recurve and timing !