Gas Tank - 1970 With E.C.S.

David

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving to all! I'm thinking of replacing my old fuel tank and wondered if there was any point of using the old ECS system? I'm thinking of just capping off the extra vent lines and return line and using a fuel cap with a vent....other than not being original would this be OK to do or would I be running into a gas tank/vent issue...?

As always thanks for the help!

David

There is an extra line coming out of the tank on the driver side, so you don't want a leak, I used a 1970 non emissions tank on my 72 with a vented cap.

The California built 70s had that tank as well.

The thought of gasoline fumes / smell in my attached garage would prevent me from ever doing that on my 71.

Bruce

Jared, Sounds like the best way to go, when you used the 70 non emissions tank did it also have vent lines that you had to plug?

Thanks,

David

The tank venting system does not reduce performance or horsepower, it only controls fumes. Personally I'd go with what GM put there. It does not "improve" anything to eliminate it. Just my opinion.

Rich,

So if I went with the original ECS style tank, what does the return line go to and would I also need a Canister in the front of the car? FYI This was a CA car....

David

Help anyone? Trying to figure out whether to plug the stock vents from the gas tank or what is needed if you use them with the original ECS system? CA Car....

Thanks,

David

Thanks Bones....you helped me in another post of mine under the name Body Part ID as well....I had one last question for you from the other post, do you have a pic of the fender braces that attache to the fenders near the hood hinge to down near the body mounts? Thanks, David

My 71 is all hooked up just like the day it was made. I replaced the charcoal canister several years ago and the rubber hoses on the tank this summer. I do smell raw gasoline after it's driven till the next day, probably evaporation from the Qudrajet carb.

I would like to see the insides of that SEPARATOR ASM! I wonder if / when they go bad, what happens?

I took a few pictures of the orifice / vacuum re-stricter I almost threw out.

71 gas tank hose pics

Jared, Sounds like the best way to go, when you used the 70 non emissions tank did it also have vent lines that you had to plug?

Thanks,

David

No, no vent lines to plug. I took the ECS cannister, and the complete lines and any other needless garbage associated with it going back to the gas tank and threw it in my scrap pile as fast as my 15 year old self could lol I also took out the doohickey under the rear seat, and trashed it as well... I got the 70 gas tank from Leo, and a vented Gas Cap from the local parts store. No fumes, or gas odor at all, I have both Montes that way in the same garage.

If anyone would like to buy some Evap Cannisters and brackets I have a few for sale. Now 21, I don't throw that stuff out anymore, especially if a car is all original, someone will want it. smile

• 2 weeks later...

My son and I tried to narrow down where the smell is coming - it's not gasoline smell but more like engine smell from front, I am suspecting the exhaust manifold or somewhere nearby is creating smell - or is that normal as I was told? Other thing to consider that my Monte was sitting outside for 4 years without driving/running at all.

Oil leaking from the valve covers onto the manifolds?

Engine is burning some oil?

Is the PCV system in place or just valve cover breathers?

If NO PCV system, it may be Blow-by.

Bruce

PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation