Earliest Built Monte Carlo

I didn't want to hijack the thread on the Flint Build Sheets so I started this one. Leo posted he picked up a 1970 with build sequence number 00010. That seems like one of the earliest Montes around. Mine is 00963 and was built on 26 August 1969. Does anyone know if any of the earliest Montes belong to this site or if any are still around?

OF112118 is the VIN on mine and trim tag is FL2124924 but I know it was built the 2nd week of September 1969 just before the work stoppage which coincided with the official launch announcement that was September 18/1969 and it is a Flint Michigan build and was sold in a St. Catherine's Ontario dealership in November/December just before Christmas that year.

The VIN sticker is still on the drivers door as well as the windshield.

DSCN0858.jpg

DSCN0860.jpg

The 1000001 from Van Nuys sold a few years back on ebay, it was #1, atleast from that plant. It sold for over 4k on ebay, and was in rough shape. The guy who bought it had spend several 100ks in weeks prior buying low production cars including a 67 Camaro also.

Somebody had bought it that was on here for a while and contacted me about it first I think, and I told him that very special to have VIN #1, but it was atleast the first from that plant. maybe not THE 1st, I had a picture of the Tag he sent, wish I still had it.

The July car I think Sam is referring to is a guy named Dave who went by "supercoupe", he bought that car from Leo, he lives in Michigan...

This is strange............. I have a 1970 built in Van Nuys but it is vin 200346. Car is on lift so I cant get at the cowl tag for build date. According to the POP it went into service on 7/9/70. So very late in the year. Is it possible that they started at 100000 built 99,000 cars then started at 200000?

This is strange............. I have a 1970 built in Van Nuys but it is vin 200346. Car is on lift so I cant get at the cowl tag for build date. According to the POP it went into service on 7/9/70. So very late in the year. Is it possible that they started at 100000 built 99,000 cars then started at 200000?

yeah thats what they done, keep in mind also chevelles was in the same sequence as the Montes, as they came down the same line.

1969 Monte Carlo would be a late 69 build date , early 1970 Monte Carlo would be 000010 etc early 1970 , so a late 1969 would be prior to an early 1970 , very few Montes built in 69 , the one i sold supercoupe was a 1969 car it had only 1 front body mount on the firewall just like the 69 chevelle , all Montes were sold as 1970 model year as an early 1969 release which was unusual for gm to do

ps sorry for quick post my father in law is very sick heart issues

gotta go

Leo

Wow. Thanks for the info. I wonder where these cars are now. It is funny how they processed the VIN numbers. My vin is 1002637 and as stated earlier was produced on 26 August 1969. There is a copy of my build sheet in my photo gallery at (still not good at posting photos):

http://www.firstgenmc.com/photopost/show...n-t&cat=500

Here is a photo of my cowl tag confirming 4th week of August (08D):

http://www.firstgenmc.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3897&title=cowl-tag&cat=500

Strangley enough the build sheet I found under the back seat for another Monte has a build date of 25 August (one day before mine) and has a higher vin number of 102813. That is 167 cars after mine. I hear that includes Chevelles and El Caminos.

http://www.firstgenmc.com/photopost/show...ack&cat=500

Leo, I hope your father in laws gets better soon.

Brent

I didn't want to hijack the thread on the Flint Build Sheets so I started this one. Leo posted he picked up a 1970 with build sequence number 00010. That seems like one of the earliest Montes around. Mine is 00963 and was built on 26 August 1969. Does anyone know if any of the earliest Montes belong to this site or if any are still around?

Brent,

My '70 SS has a sequence number of 2312 and was also built at Van Nuys on October 16, 1969, 51 days and apparently 1349 cars after yours.

Although both increase numerically with time, I can't tell that there is any direct correlation between the sequence number and the VIN, especially at a plant that was building multiple models interspersed. My Monte's VIN ends in 128312. If there were a direct correlation your VIN would have to end in 126963. Is it that or anything close?

I toured the GMAD plant in Fairfax (Kansas City, KS) in 1973 and they were building full sized Buicks, Olds and Pontiacs randomly interspersed on the same line, but maybe Chevrolet did things differently.

I ordered my 70 Monte Sept. 20, 1969. I have no numbers from it but it did take 10 weeks to get it. Flint plant went on strike so it got built at the Van Nuys plant. The Monte came in with Malibu steering wheel center and the drip rail molding over the drivers door was dinged. Sure do wish I had kept it but did not want to make car payments.

My '70 SS has a sequence number of 2312 and was also built at Van Nuys on October 16, 1969, 51 days and apparently 1349 cars after yours.

Although both increase numerically with time, I can't tell that there is any direct correlation between the sequence number and the VIN, especially at a plant that was building multiple models interspersed. My Monte's VIN ends in 128312. If there were a direct correlation your VIN would have to end in 126963. Is it that or anything close?

My VIN ends with 1002637. My sequence number on the build sheet and the data plate is 022513 and BL 00963.