rust repairs

jacob

As you all know I'm doing a body off restoration and now that we have the body off I need to focus on rust repairs. I have rust around the wheel house and the quarter panel where the side lights are and of coarse the roof and rear glass and in the trunk. I have not been able to find patches for the quarter panels or the corners under the rear glass does any one know where to find them or who can make them I have not lived long enough to be a expert welder or metal fabricator my dad has some welding experience so I can learn welding from him but we both wouldn't want to weld any thing but quality to that car. Or instructions to make the patches I can post pictures my grand dad keeps stealing my camera that's why I cant posting them now but please give advice I want to do this right. And I'm sort of worried about letting someone do it because they may not put the effort into it that I would like them to or that I would.

None of that is made. The window channel is identical to a Chevelle, but they want to sell you an entire quarter panel or roof skin just to fix the channel.

The tray section can be bought for around $50-75 or so.

you can fab up the corners of the back window by using a shrinker/stretcher or take one piece of sheetmetal and curve it and then another to make bottom,weld it together and grind weld down then weld in body.It just take doing it the easy way over and over

sounds like you might be looking for these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-71-72-Monte-Carlo-Trunk-Floor-Drop-Off-Filler-RH-/360186276916

and Joe Vega - AZchevys recently had a outer wheel house listed dont know if he still has it, you should contact him

www.azchevs.com

69 Chevelle wheel house is the best to use according to Leo last I heard. Unless he's found something that works better.

Looks like I'm snow balling on that 72 402 car now....

We are burning up some money all the chassis stuffs been odered and is on the way. We have a growing pile of parts at bradlys ready to go I get to go down to tullock automotive on monday to help tear it down. Then on tues day it will be taken to powder coating and it will be there for awhile then when it's back from powder coating every thing will be reassembled aligned and ready to go.

control arms gas tank straps gas tank sending unit and all other suspension parts are here frames at powder coating and I have used por 15 for the first time nice stuff I'm basically ready to start rust repairs. I will practice on my dads truck since it needs it and I need the practice.

has any one used Chicago electric that's were my welders from Its worked good so far I know there was an older one like it but they have been improved its the 99 dollar one.

Chicago electric is probably an off brand of one of the bigger companies out there. The duty cycle will kill you as you will spend more down time(welder taken a brake) waiting for the welder to kick back on to let you weld more. The main thing with welding sheet metal big areas or small is work in same spot welds one on one side one on the other side and back to the first weld this lets the panel cool before adding more heat. If you weld from one side straight across you will wrap the panel. so take your time watch the heat and over the course of doing spot welds you will join them altogether.

Im pretty sure thats the same one I have and it works pretty good but for short periods of time, it over heats fast. I have never used it on sheet metal but assume it would work ok but I would suggest praticing on some stuff that dont matter untill you get the settings right and you get a little better with it

. Pratice, pratice, pratice and have a good grinder too.

good advice I don't plan on doing long periods of welding just small stuff and when I weld Ill give it a long cool down period by letting it sit on a nonconductive surface while turned on which allows the fan to run cooling it down. I have read and reread the instruction manual I wanted to be sure I did the set up right.