Brakes Won't lock up

kcgreg

I have been dealing with this for over a year, but don't feel the car is as safe to drive as it should be. Since I replaced the brake booster, MC and front brake pads and bled the system the brakes will not lock up no matter how hard I push on the peddle. the car stops ok but in an emergency situation the braking distance is just too long. I have not touched the back brakes at all.

Any ideas?

I do not care for ceramic pads I feel they are much too hard and do not hold that great. IMO I would use a middle of the road semi metallic or organic pad. I would not think a 1971 Monte Carlo was designed for the use of a ceramic pad

I agree on the ceramic pads. They are much too hard. They will overheat the rotors and braking will even fade plus the overheating will cause the rotors to warp. You need the simi-metalic.

Rob

I used organic on mine. D52 is the mumber, MD52 is the semi metalic pads. remember there is a break in periob for the pads to seat into the rotors. The smei metalic pads will ware the rotors more but shouldnt be a problem. Make sure the rears are working properly and adjusted properly too thats where you get your pedal from. You may want to flush the system too just to be safe. Did you bench bleed the master before installing it? there could be some air trapped in there too.Ceremaic pads dont belong on our Montes.

ditto on the ceramic pads. What you are saying the pedal feels like sounds about right except for the stopping distance. I'm guessing with changing the pads and maybe adjusting the rear brakes you'll increase the stopping distance and feel comfortable driving it.