How to remove rear seats?

71MonteCarloMD

I tried to search for seats but came up empty - I doubt that you guys didn't discuss on how to remove rear seats before? If you didn't then here's a new question - by viewing other junked Monte, there's three "hook" on top that I am assuming that holds the top rear seat?

And how about the bottom of rear seat?

I love photos like everybody says wink

Rick

You need to remove the bottom section of the seat first. It it held in place by 2 hooks welded to the floor near each end of the seat. Get right down and look under the rear seat and you will see them. You need to push the seat toward the rear of the car and it will slide until it gets released from the hook. Some are easier than others. Push on the seat frame at the base of the seat.

Here's a thread discussing it:

http://www.fgmcc.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=331476&page=1

Doing a search for "back seat" has too many results. I searched for "mule" since "mule kick" is a common response to this question. grin

The top (vertical) section of the seat is held in place by 2 hooks near the top and 2 bolts at the bottom. With the bottom portion of the seat already removed, you can get access to the 2 bolts holding the top portion of the seat in place. Remove those 2 bolts and then you can lift it off the 2 hooks.

I removed my back seat last weekend to install my new radio and wiring. I moved the front seats all the way forward. Sat on the sill plate and with clean sole on my shoes and my back against the door or front jam pushed the seat back and up with my foot. Passenger side no problem but the drivers side was giving me fits when all of a sudden it popped up. One of the guys at the upholstery shop that restretched my headliner gave me the tip on this easy method of removing the back seat bottom.

• Like 1

Sill plate is the aluminum piece that covers the top of the rocker panel. I should have said rocker panel but my remeberer is failing and my forgetterer is improving daily.

Not the exact same but same principle and about the same location, technique would be better using your FOOT in some cases but here is a Video to help

Not exact but you get the idea.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...