1971 Trunk Release button.....

Where was the factory trunk release button installed and what colour was it for the 1971? My production date is April. My car did not come originally with a trunk release. The guy added it when he rebuilt the car. Right now, the button is located under the steering column but I wish to re-install it to the factory location sometime this spring or summer.

Any and all input would be appreciated as always. smile

Larry , In 1971-72 the button was Yellow... inside of its normal black housing. 1970 had a green button like mine does.... let me know if you need a button as I have about 10 of them in yellow....

Darren.

Unless, like my 71 made in Canada, it's green. I assume the stock of old green buttons needed to run out first but mine was built in May of 71 unless it's a plant thing.

Bruce

Hmmm....that's interesting Bruce and thanks for the offer Darren. I currently have a yellow button but like I say, it was installed in the 80's. I also have a green NOS button still in the box that I acquired. Now I have no idea which one to use. LOL

I would go Green even though the yellow looks nicer.

Sure do like your car! The last six digits of my vin is 540975. How close are we?

Bruce

Thanks Bruce...we basically have twins.....mine is 535304...production date is April 6 1971. smile

I hope to have our cars parked side by side one day. I have more to do to my car but I'll be stopping short of perfect. I don't wish it to be a trailer queen. My late Uncle Ron certainly didn't treat it like a trailer queen, that's for sure. LOL

That's a very good question Paul. Darren, how DID you come to have 10 yellow trunk release buttons? Do you have a button fetish or was that just your hoarding stage.

Between you and Cory, I think I know where most of the FGMC parts are. LOL

Funny I saw the pictures of Bruce's and then the description about being green in 1970 as I have a YELLOW one from early 80's (same button) in my stash that I would put in when I find a trunk release for.

Not that I care about which colour it is, but interesting they changed colour?

As for putting in the glove box, makes sense so you can leave the doors open and the glove box locked so no one can open the trunk when at a car show and can still show the car and leave valuables in the trunk. Always a drag when owners LOCK it up and roll up the windows so you can't look inside and I don't peer in windows as it PO'd me when found finger prints or palm prints on mine....

For ease of operation from the driver seat you may want to put it on the other side (where the light is) so you can reach it better...just my .02 may not be EXACTLY factory location but close enough no one will notice or say anything....

Scott

Yes which side it is on I don't think it a big deal, as I bet if you took a POLE of all those who HAD one from FACTORY you would find it is in both places or likely.

In any event you have a yellow one now so that's good. If you don't I do have one and from what I've seen they are all the same (well except the 70 which apparently was green??).

That is a MOD I'd like to do sometime as well. Just have to get this winter foolishness over so I can take back my garage and get to work!!!! And boot the extra CRAP that has found it's way in there from late fall....

I need a 3 car garagE!!! but don't we all!!!!

Scott