mufflers

monte70car

So after 14 years and less then 500 miles on the exhaust it appears the old 30 series mufflers have fallen apart from the inside. We where able to get the drivers side off and dumped out the trash that was in it IMG_20130506_183749_595_zpsc7dc941b.jpg that is all rust from the inside of the muffler which was blown through the tail pipe. Hit up Pep-boys this evening and got those little mufflers IMG_20130506_183731_822_zpsedcbeb92.jpg the new muffler is 4" shorter then the old mufflers.

New delta flow 40 installed exhaust all hooked up now to wait a night and double check my self in the afternoon. This no loud noise after 7pm really sucks. Yes I know it's probably going to be a little louder yes the resonators are still in place so it might not be as loud as I think. The 40 series are 4" shorter then the original 30 series which I think had a nice sound to them. I have hear the delta flow 40's on a big block and it did sound good and about the same level as the small block.

So what do the series numbers mean? The 30 series are too loud within 30 feet, and the 40 series are too loud within 40 feet?

Maybe it's just the average number of neighbor complaints. LOL

I'm too old school to like the open echo-sound the flowmasters make. I grew up with glasspacks and turbo mufflers. For me the perfect sound is what comes out of a Cobra sidepipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjqA75zFgOw

Steve has a quiet set of turbos on his car but has the vacuum operated exhaust cut-outs. I believe his quote is:

"When I like my neighbors .......... ( then hits switch)

............. When I don't like my neighbors" !!! LOL

Dan

Tony between the age of the muffler and getting them cherry red one year while messing with the carb who knows. During the 14 years they were on the car it might have seen 50 miles in a year. Work schedule for me kills weekend car shows and the car cruise's in my neck of the woods have turned to imports gone wild. It pains me to see it sit in the garage like it did the last two years but I'm hoping for a better year. It will be at Carlisle for all to see the hood and the gauges trying to talk a guy down south to come up before we leave to pick up his hood and join the meet.

cool Rob, I know I don't drive mine as much as I should, trying to change that more every year. I do put some miles on it though, maybe changing the work schedule so it's light out when I go in will change that

• 1 month later...

HAVE FLOWMASTER 40'S ON THE VETTE. SWEET SOUND TURNS HEADS AT 120 FEET! COURSE THE VETTE ONLY HAS 12 INCHES OF EXHAUST PIPE AFTER THE MUFFLER. GO WITH WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD!