71-72 fenders on a 70??

i belive the bolt hole are different on the part where the fender bolts to the fender extensions so if u wanna keep the the 70 front end but use the 71/2 fenders your gonna have to drill some holes...others will chime in but i think thats what u will have to do!

The fenders can bolt to the rad support with very little modification. The headlight extensions will take some modification also to mate up with the 71/72 fender but can be done.

71-72 fenders on a 70 can techically require no Mod at all to the fenders themselves. You can modify the fender extension, use washers to take up the space for the "step up" on the 71-72 fender, or use a 71-72 radiator brace(what the grille bolts to on top) with the step up in it. Since you'll have the radiator support from the 70 anyway that won't cause any trouble.

Come on up to Bay City, Kody. I'll show you what a modified 72 fender looks like. Also a 71-72 Radiator support mod to fit 70 headlights. What a mess.

I recommend trying to do it right the 1st time with the correct parts,If you can. It has taken me a couple of years to gather up the right parts to turn mine back into a 70. Thanks to a few Great members here. Thanks Sam, Leo, Rob K, and a couple others.

• 1 month later...

I put a 71 fender on my 70. The corner of the fender were it bolts to the core support is raised. I cut that off and welded in a flat piece of metal. After grinding and painting it looked as it should. I am sure that would be harder going from a 70 to a 71. I drilled the spot welds and was able to remove the piece behind the very front of fender were the light housing mounts. After removing that and swapped with with the 70 fender that was beyond repair. After rewelding that piece back into place the fender was installed. The mounts on the fender to the core support bolted right on and the front light housing mounted right on. The dowl pins lined right up due to the front piece swapped form the other fender. The whole repair took about an hour. Look as it should and no one has ever asked about it unless looking at the pictures.

I put a 71 fender on my 70. The corner of the fender were it bolts to the core support is raised. I cut that off and welded in a flat piece of metal. After grinding and painting it looked as it should. I am sure that would be harder going from a 70 to a 71. I drilled the spot welds and was able to remove the piece behind the very front of fender were the light housing mounts. After removing that and swapped with with the 70 fender that was beyond repair. After rewelding that piece back into place the fender was installed. The mounts on the fender to the core support bolted right on and the front light housing mounted right on. The dowl pins lined right up due to the front piece swapped form the other fender. The whole repair took about an hour. Look as it should and no one has ever asked about it unless looking at the pictures.

Thinking outside the box, great job Tom. This is what Ive been tying to tell many here, it only took you an hour to convert one. this goes both ways 70 to 71/72 & vice versa. its really not that hard. its the same freakin fender just the front bracing is a little different, very easy conversion. Even if you paid a body shop to do it, an hour or two tops. the 70 fenders aren't gonna get EASIER to find, some of you are gonna have to do this.

By the way, I have a beautiful 71/72 right (passenger) fender for sale, contact me. Cory

• 5 weeks later...

I tried Tom's trick converting a 71 fender into a 70. Had to do some creative spotweld location techniques (black sharpie and an angled lightsource), drilled the welds out on the keeper fender and used the die grinder to just remove the whole outer piece on the donor fender, beadblasted it, installed and welded up. Easy peasy! grin