Trans Cooler Install/ Did you use radiator too?

Will

Hey guys,

After a several month delay caused training over in Virginia I;m dropping the drivetrain back in. I want to add a trans cooler just for good measure. Did you guys run flexible line to a cooler on the front of the radiator? Or did you use the external cooler and the radiator? Is there a line/fitting kit I can pick up to ease installation issues?

Thanks

Will

In my case I bought the largest cooler available from Summit I think (it's been about 7 years) and bypassed the radiator. I was running the small block 400 and a turbo 350 with a 2000 stall converter. I still have the transmission with a 2800 stall converter behind a 454 and no problems to date. By doing this with the 400 an unintended benefit was to have a detonation probable disappear. I have heard that in cold weather areas some like to run the radiator cooler in series to pre heat the trans fluid. But I live in the northwest with no problems. David

I have a TCI stacked plate cooler http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-824104. I have it plumbed through my radiator (aluminum 2 row with 1" tubes). Came with fittings, lines and clamps. It has worked great behind my s/b, th350 with a 5000 flash stall Coan converter. Fluid always looks good. I run Amsoil synthetic fluid and a deep B&M transmission pan.

I live in S/GA and our summers are brutal.

David

I originally used both then eventually bought a Be-Cool radiator without the tranny hookup and now use just the remote cooler.

I just converted my hardline to braided with npt to an adapters. I have the complete list still you want to go over it. I used aeroequip but their are lots of company's making braided hose

Absolutely, I would love to see your list. I have wanted to convert but always kinda worried I would ordered the wrong sizes and screw it all up

I run a Plate-Type, 11 in. x 11 in. x 1 1/2 in cooler. I ran to the cooler then the radiator to maintain a stable heat in the trans fluid. When Rossler built my trans I talked to Carl Rossler about it and he thought it was a good Idea if you have a cooler in the radiator. Oil works best warm.

Main thing is make sure your hose is compatible with the oil or whatever fluid you you use it with.

15' Aeroequip AQP Stainless Steel Braided Hose (-6) (PN: FCA0615)

(4) Aeroequip AN to NPT fitting 1/4 to -6 (PN: FBE2013)

90° Aeroequip AN fitting -6 (PN: FBE4032)

45° Aeroequip AN fitting -6 (PN: FBE4022)

Straight AN fitting -6 (PN: FBE1012)

90 degree and 45 are for the radiator connections

Straight fittings are for the transmission connections

Well price is quickly becoming an issue as usual Sam. What would you would reccomend to flow to the radiator and cooler? Any specicific size fitting or type of hose?

• 1 month later...