fuel filter

abe72

Hello All,

This may sound like a dumb question, but where would be the best place to install a fuel filter. I have the original motor and carb set up (350, 2bbl).

Thank you,

Abe

You'll need to cut the steel line to install an inline filter. Make sure to measure where you want it, take the line off to cut and clean any metal filings out of the line.

Yes. That's kinda where I was thinking about placing it.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Abe

I have one of those universal in-line filters installed between my fuel pump and the frame in the rubber hose there.

It was a good idea to put in a new hose anyway, so I added a filter while I was in there. I have heard that it's not ideal to mount a filter on the suction side of the pump, but the up side is that it keeps my fuel pump clean as well as the carb.

I've had no issues.

Something like this:

hly-162-524_w_ml.jpg

As others have said I would run one (as I have) from the fuel pump steel line into the carb inlet.

I would think you can find a local parts store that has the GLASS filer with a replaceable paper element. This way you can see if it has fuel in it that likely the CARB does too (normally) or if the fuel pump is working (as you can see fuel) AND how dirty the filter and how yellow (yuck) the fuel is coming outta the tank shocked

Just make sure to use Stainless steel hose clamps and for good measure I'd double clamp them for the rubber hose as a precaution....

And if you cut the fuel line (steel) not a bad idea to FLARE (if you have one) both ends where the rubber fuel line goes on to help against any leaks (but not required just a suggestion).

Scott