M20 conversion has begun!

Murphy

Today I pulled the trigger on my TH350 to Muncie M20 conversion.

It was an all day affair as most of the bolts probably hadn't been loosened in 43 yrs. It was fun as I was expecting this to be the worst part of the job. A few pics to prove the work....

P2090184_zps315128d8.jpg

P2090185_zpsb5379b9d.jpg

P2090188_zps196a68aa.jpg

P2090189_zps3899d735.jpg

Amazing how bad these crossmember ends were!

P2090187_zps6a2dbc8d.jpg

I has able to save every part, cooler lines, linkage, kick-down cable, dipstick tube, etc. I had to remove the passenger header as it was too much to fight the trans mounting bolts to the block. Now the cleanup begins, repainting parts, accessing my bolt situation, etc....Next weekend is the oilpan gasket replacement issue.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The excitement has begun!! Looking good, Murray! I was wondering how high you would need to jack up your Monte to do this swap. Gald to see you have blocks UNDER your tires as well as jack stands, no doubt. Wouldn't it be great to have one of those garage lifts?

Thanks for sharing - great photos - keep 'em coming. BTW, what are those badly rusted parts in your last photo? Are they possibly your H350 transmission mount and a crossmember end cap?

Its snowing here in NY. My girlfriends son left Phoneix Az. yesterday for NJ but he had no choice hes training for a month then he goes to afganastan for a year. Hes in the air force. Looks like the changeover is going smooth so far. Good luck and tray to stay away from that snowball

I bought a used Lakewood bell housing (p#15000) locally from a guy who removed it from a 70 Chevelle, and the block plate. I hear of many others who do not install the blockplate, if the blockplate isn't used, then what type of cover is installed on the bottom section of the bell housing to cover the opening by the oil pan?

FYI.....I called the Lakewood techline and was told that there wasn't any sort of lower coverplate as that's part of the function of the blockplate. I said that I realized that but why are some not using then?? To cut down on weight possibly, was the answer. It seems to me you potentially could have stones or debris get into the flywheel/clutch area causing other issues.

I found one for mine but... I almost didn't and had a few guys say just take some hard Bristol board or something like that and trace it along the bottom half of the bell housing along with the holes. Then use the template and make a nice cover out of aluminum or steel or tin or whatever you want.

Got my Ram clutch today and now realize I don't have any bolts(6). Flywheel is a 3789733 14". Wouldn't think it would be that difficult to confirm the clutch bolts but ???

Got my Ram clutch today and now realize I don't have any bolts(6). Flywheel is a 3789733 14". Wouldn't think it would be that difficult to confirm the clutch bolts but ???

ARP sells them, I got mine through partsource but I'd imagine most jobbers can get them. Came in a pack of 6 best quality as far as I'm concerned.

Another day under the Monte, mounted the block plate, flywheel, and Lakewood bellhousing so I can begin the tedious task of dialing in bell to be centered with the crank. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but determined that I need to order adjustable block dowel pins. Lots of good U-Tube stuff out there on this procedure.......P2220190_zps7cde4534.jpg

As you can see from the pic, the dial indicator is mounted to the flywheel, then I rotate the motor from the front to see how far off center the bell is. The adjustable dowels will allow for perfect centering so once their installed & calibrated, the bell can be removed to install the clutch assembly and reinstalled without having to recalibrate. It's tedious but once its done, its done. Also received from Leo a non-console shifter boot and trim ring from a 70 Monte.

P2200185_zpsc2d4f3fe.jpg

Planning on sanding down and buffing as it is pot metal and pitted up pretty good. If the buffing doesn't turn out to my satisfaction, I'm going to get it chromed. I do have one question about the mounting of the shifter hump for the non-console cars.....should I only cut the floor out for the same size as the opening for the boot or should I go larger since this steel hump is so large???

Hey Murphy, looks great I hope this help my friend…… I am so glad to be back posting again…..

Darren.

ac113c18-c996-4c43-8291-39d625000505_zps

Good to have you back Darren! Your expertise is always welcome. Now I have another question.....The Z-BAR has a grease zerk near the center of the horizontal tube, is that entire tube to be filled with grease? Seems like a waste.........