suspension overhaul ideas needed

I'm completely redoing the suspension on my monte after the frames back on so need some help. Guess I should start with letting you guys know what I'm going to do with it. It's mainly going to be more of a weekend racer, weekday cruiser.

Trying to get best of both worlds I guess (tough I know).

I'm looking for a good spring set (1" lower in front), front/rear sway bars and control arms or a way to make my stock arms better then they are. I already having a good set of bilstein shocks so that's good.

I was thinking of going with Delrin bushings on my stock arms and weld some reinforcement plates to strengthen them for deflection from heavy corning too when street used. My stock rears are already boxed. I'd rather get tubular arms but the high expense is stopping me.

As for the sways should the rear be larger then the front to help with weight transfer but still keep it stable for street driving?

Let me know what you guys think, thanks

Check out UMI's website. They have some great stuff, individual pieces or kits. They are also very helpful, I had a few conversations with Ramey before I bought the stuff for my rear suspension. It's installed, very high quality, but I haven't driven it yet we had snow yesterday and they salted everything again. Hopefully next week I can try it out.

They have nice stuff but some of it is out of my price range. I'm trying to keep it cheaper if possible or I'm going to be buying a piece at a time...lol

When I put mine back together I didn't go with the tubular control arms etc. and wish I had. Now I'm looking at redoing all of mine someday soon. So I guess what I'm saying is do it right the first time. Don't regret it later.

When I put mine back together I didn't go with the tubular control arms etc. and wish I had. Now I'm looking at redoing all of mine someday soon. So I guess what I'm saying is do it right the first time. Don't regret it later.

I'm with Scott here, went all stock when I did mine and I should have upgraded

Next version of my monte will be pricey! lol

Yea guess she's going to be immobile for a bit then till I get the right arms. I'm going to buy the rears first and get that out of my way so I have more room...fronts after

Here is another link with some really nice stuff. Mark is a really smart guy and always willing to help with all budgets. Give him a call he'll let you know what will work for you price range.

I second this statement. The call(s) i made to Mark gave me the best education and advice when building my suspension. He will work within any budget. Keep in mind what you ultimately want and build to that. Otherwise, like Scott said it always cost more to do things twice. Jim here on long island calls his car the 1/2 price car. As we replace/upgrade stuff he gets everything at 1/2 price!! LOL

Dan

Yea guess she's going to be immobile for a bit then till I get the right arms. I'm going to buy the rears first and get that out of my way so I have more room...fronts after

I like the way it sits in the pic, nice stance....

Yea, I'm trying to keep that stance. What I used to have on the car was stock 1970 coil springs (surprisingly in good shape still!)in rear and 1" hotchkis lowering springs up front.

I'm currently looking at UMI rear lower control arms but had a question. What the difference between the UMI boxed and tubular lower rear control arms? They both have sway mounts built in. One looks stronger then the other but that's all I can see. (plus maybe less weight)

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index....;products_id=34

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index....;products_id=35

If you email Ramey he'll point out the differences. He is very knowledgeable on all their products and very willing to help. They make a great product. I went with the tubular with the Roto-Joints. After talking with Ramey they seem to fit my needs the best.

Haven't driven it yet, hopefully next weekend. They are greasable and rebuildable. Talking with other people it doesn't sound like there will be any problems.

Ok, got lucky last night and ran across a very nice deal on open box(new but never were installed) hotchkis double adjustable upper rear control arms. Got them for $150 shipped to my door which is cheaper then the knock off ebay ones.

Good, I'm ready to buy some lower rears right now. Fronts are going to be on hold for now till I have a little extra.

Here's the new upper arms I just picked up. Got them "used" but they look like they never were used ever.

WP_20140501_17_42_31_Pro_zpsbfb66338.jpg

Also, should I stick with a smaller front sway bar and larger rear for some drag racing? Or should I go large in rear and front?

go with a large front..if weight is a concern there are hollow front ones from UMI & BMR..I went with the Hellwig front & rear sway bar set up..havent drivin the car yet to see how I like em tho