Which battery cables and laying?

jayzi

Hi guys.

I'm planning to reroute the battery cables because it currently looks chaotic. I have seen many engine bay photos of Montes but it seems to be there are different solutions. Is there one which is both almost original and efficient/easy? And is there a specific cable type available anywere which can be used without modifying?

Here's how my cables are currently looking:

14904063349_22c99eae56_c.jpg

Joerg

Going with a shorter ground cable would help the looks. Also the small lead from the ground cable should attach to the inside of the fender. This is a major ground for many systems. Switching to a side mount battery and cables would make an even bigger improvement on looks. The 78 series side terminal battery has the positive and negative terminals opposite of your battery. That eliminates the wires crossing over each other.

Cables do not look to bad but the ground could be much shorter cleaning the appearance up a lot or move the end off of the alternator to some place down on the block.

As Scott said, switching to a battery that moves the positive terminal away from that sheet metal is a good idea. Even in a minor accident that positive terminal can come in contact with the body. That can cause an arc and start a fire under the hood which makes a small problem a big problem.

Thanks Scott, Larry and Joe.

So I will buy a new battery with the positive terminal left and both terminals on the side. Would a 61Ah battery do (just like it came in the 350 from the factory) or would you suggest to use a stronger one?

The negative cable is already attached to the fender but with the thick cable instead of the smaller one. That's probably a usable solution but I will try to change that as well. Only need to find a fitting cable. Maybe this one which isn't cheap at all: OPGI

15096604765_d76951833e.jpg

What year is this car?

I believe in 1970 all but the SS were top terminal batteries. The 1970 SS and all 1971 and 1972 Monte Carlos used the side terminal batteries.

The stock factory place for the (-) negative cable is mounted to the alternator top bracket. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm fortunate to still have, and use, the original cables for my 1971.

Bruce

Scott is right on the reversal of the battery. It didn't matter if it was a top post battery or a side post battery, the negative pole was located next to the fender with the heavy ground routing to the alternator and the small wire attching to the fender. Your positive lead cable looks to be about half the thickness of mine.

Rob

My positive lead cable in blue is an extension of the original red cable caused by the top poles and plus pole on the right. Was done by the former owner but I will change both. Which Ampere hours would you suggest? Are the standard 61 Ah okay to use with the 350 engine? I could also buy 65 and 70 Ah here in Germany (with side and inversed poles).

But besides the sizes would a 60/61 Ah do or would I need a stronger one? I guess the current battery technology is way better than it was 40 years ago so probably a 60/61 would do?