70 reproduction dash

V8Freak

I restored my dash recently and did some research beforehand. I knew that not one original Monte dash that I have ever seen had a chrome finish around the gauges, etc. I considered that maybe the chrome had faded, but I've even checked the areas that were covered, where no fading should have been possible. Every time I would find paint, not chrome. I've even seen the silver paint overspray on the back of some.

I think the chrome on the new dashes looks beautiful, but I can't agree that it looks original. When I saw this thread, I remembered something I read at the Team Chevelle site. There's a guy there that's been restoring dashes for a long time. I can search for the link to the thread, if anyone cares to see the entire thread.

Dan

I corrected a few of his typos to make it easier to read. Here is what he had to say..................... 

Well I will post some pictures. I have been repairing SS dashes now for over 25 years. I have restored Hundreds of them for Chevelle owners all over the country. My dashes are in well over a half a dozen of the real LS6 converts out there ,many, many LS6's, L78's, and every other 70-72 SS out there, I even did a Custom one for MGM Studios.

I can repair just about any thing short of 2" to @ 5/8 gauge holes. We even recast the Washer Wiper area on Monte dashes as a cheaper SS dash for customers. 
The dashes you see with the Vaccum Metalized Chrome finish like the dash vents is Not factory. The factory aluminized the front face of the dash, not dipped like the over restored and Very Heavy ones that the people are charging crazy money for. I have studied this for many years. It is actually Aluminum powder suspended in a clear binder that was originally applied. It has a reflective sheen but its not and never was Chrome !!!

I think I'm going too roll the dice and buy the new one for 325, hopefully I won't have too hack it apart too Much too make it all fit properly. My car isn't numbers marching so certain little details don't really bother Me. If it's a pos maybe i can sell it and but an original lol

I'm going on record. Chevelle dash was painted silver and Monte's were chromed. Just remember the Monte cost more then a Chevelle. Just be careful where you buy it from because they are on the 4th retooling maybe 5th. The newer ones will fit better and the chrome is thinner like the original. Try Summit or Jegs. They will give you free shipping. Good Luck.

Carl

Free shipping is nice. I sold a dash with a hacked radio hole for $108 on ebay, had to charge $150 for shipping/packaging.

The first chrome ones I seen reproduced was to wide also Carl.

For anyone that's interested, here's the thread about the business owner, Jim Brady, that restores dashes.  http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341312

I have no desire to ruffle any feathers. I'm only posting here again for the guys that want to restore their car as the factory made them. He has many cores available from Chevelles, and of course, he also has Monte Carlo dashes. He repairs the drilled holes in the Monte dashes that the wood grain overlay uses, so they can be used in Chevelles. I'm certainly not an authority on dash restoration, so I called Jim a few minutes ago. His number is 302-420-4743. He said, as I suspected, the Monte dashes didn't come with chrome. They were painted the same way that the Chevelles were. I trust that a guy that has handled and restored hundreds of Chevelle and Monte Carlo dashes would be about as knowledgeable about them as anyone could be. He's often at the Chevelle site.

I think the company or companies that are offering new dashes with the chrome plating, instead of the aluminized paint, are doing that as an "upgrade" to the original dashes for those that want a little more shine to their interior. They certainly do look nice.

Have a great day and weekend, guys and gals. 

Dan

No, I didn't ask. If you want to ask him, he's only a phone call away. Seems to be a very nice guy, but since he restores dashes for a living, I don't know if he would disclose that information.

Dan

Well what ever it is called. I have in my notes as it being a Vacuum Plated Silver. I would say that is the closest process to chrome. I have seen Jim's dashes and they are nice. I would say he is using paint over the silver. If only you could clear over that would make it shiny. But thats not the case. The clear will only dull it up. I think I have bought every paint pen out their. I have 2 that are real close to chrome and Dupli Color Spray Chrome is the best. The only draw back with all this chrome paint is that you can't touch it too much. That will also dull it up. Anyway I have done a few 70-72 dashes and that is my own formula.

Carl