Gas cap

John S

Gas tank has pressure in it when I remove cap. 1970 Monte 350/300 hp the car does not have emissions. The tank does not have any vent lines on it. I have a vented cap replaced twice but pressure still builds in tank. Normal? Or do I have wrong cap on.

John S

I should not have any pressure in tank after driving for a while. I have 3 vented caps, two of them new. I guess I will take a close look at them see if there is a way to clean it. Seems improbable to get two new faulty caps but not impossible.

John

Many owners of the early cars with non vented systems have the same issue. Even with vented caps they can still build pressure. 1-2 1/8 inch holes drilled into the gas cap seem to work well with no leakage of gas and cures this problem.

Ok, stupid question. How do you know it's under pressure? Does it sound like a soda can or bottle being opened (well, kind of) ? Does the pressure go away overnight if it sits?

Ok, stupid question. How do you know it's under pressure? Does it sound like a soda can or bottle being opened (well, kind of) ? Does the pressure go away overnight if it sits?

Yes, you would hear it. In reality you could hear pressure OR vacuum. It could be vacuum if you drove awhile and stopped to fill-up. Vacuum due to the displacement of the gas you have used up and pressure due to expansion of the fuel in the tank on a warm day.

Yes, it is possible it could bleed off overnight.

rob

Is this a replacement tank? If so, this tech article saved me. It starts on page 3 so make sure you read the first 2 pages. In addition, the only thing I would do differently to this cap is drill a single hole with a very small .030 or .040 bit. These small bits won't let fuel out and will allow the tank to vent. I used a 3/32 and a tiny bit of fuel comes out of hole. http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186510#/forumsite/20668/topics/186510

This info should go out to all in this club who have a 70 and looking to replace with the stock factory tank. Spectra premium industries is in the process of looking into this issue. Until they fix it I would recommend that all 70 owners get a 71 tank and use one of the tank vents to allow the pressure out and get a non vented cap or modify this new cap. Steve Levanti warned me about these issues but I didn't listen. Had all the pressure and leakage issues. Then found that tech info on TC and got lucky because the cap really is a cure all to this problem.

John, go back to the link and see the pics. The op drilled 3 holes. Theres no need for the outter holes so the middle hole us where u need to be. Eye it up.

I can't say for 100% certainty but I've had the tank out 3 times and it does not look to be reproduction. I did check the "check valve" in the cap and it does seem to work properly. You can blow thru it with "lung pressure" so it is not stuck.

John

Well if it is a repro and from canada its most likely a spectra and none of the auto part store caps are going to work. Trust me I have many that im using as paper weights. Now if its an origional tank im stumped. Lots of luck in working it out. Ive given you all the info I have. Trust me though, if all else fails just buy that cap. Its only $10 Al

took my 70 for a ride last night and tested it, it was holding pressure :mad:

new aftermarket tank

new VENTED cap

I drilled a hole in it for now until I get one of these

The problem with drilling in the origional 70 vented cap or replacement is that even though you releave the pressure u still get a lot of spillage. Sam where did ya get the tank from and what brand is it? And also start with a small bit like I said earlier 0.30-0.40. 5/32 and 1/8 even 3/32 is too big Fuel will come out of hole but just a lil. And remember go back and look at those pics. The middle hole is all you need. Keep us posted!

CST 5092 local autozone If the link doesnt work. Look up "gas tank pressure problem solved" on Team Chevelle. Its easy to find.