a question

Donny vestal

At over $5 a gallon here....as far as my pocketbook would allow. :rofl:

I drove my 71 SS with mostly stock original 454 to Carlisle and back which is 1000+ mile round trip. It was a good way to break in the rebuild. :)

It was also worth it to finally meet 40 or so of our Members in person.

Cheers,

Larry

• Like 1

I drove my stock 454 with 3.73 rear end to two Western Meets. One was 450 miles (900 miles round trip) and 600 miles (1,200 miles round trip). Pretty hhigh RPM and lots of gas but would do it again in a heartbeat. Nothing like driving your classic on a road trip.

Hey Donny, I drove my stock 1970 Chevelle SS 454 4spd car from Calgary to our unofficial western meet in Penticton BC back in 2012 at 1100 miles round trip and then this year to the official western meet again in Penticton BC I took the white 70 402 4spd Monte same 1100 miles round trip and here is the Big one.... I am buying a 71ss in Oshawa ontario and she is travelling 6000 miles one way to Calgary and not on a trailer and thats another 454 car, Like Aaron said I would do it again in a Heartbeat although free gas would be a plus hahaha...

Darren.

I drove my 402 stock Monte all the way from North Carolina to North East Ohio the day I bought it...granted the car was only 11 years old at the time... :D

Seriously though I would say you should be able to drive it anywhere as long as it is in good running condition and you can afford the gas.

ive never owned a big block till now and a few older guys I know said they wasn't dependable on a long trip like from here where I live to Norwalk they wouldn't trust it. I appreciate all your answers im going to rebuild it and drop it in

The only way I wouldn't trust any engine is if the work done to it wasn't good, or the engine was making noise or questionable. I would trust my Big Block across the country if the car was geared higher or had Overdrive. :fart:

A small block typically should get better gas mileage. Although papa had a few 396/402s in his past that got over 20 MPG. One was a 65 Caprice 4 door hardtop that came factory with the 396, and a 71 Big Caprice with a 402 also. These cars were newer 10-15 years old then, and highway geared.

We used to take a mostly stock 70 SS396 Chevelle from Alexandria, VA to Churchill, MD for an all Chevelle show that got 16MPG with a 400trans and 3.31 gears. The only thing that was done to the car was someone installed a shift kit in the trans. The show staff always put it in the daily driver class.

Hi

Last year we took our 454 car to Pontiac Mi. for the Woodward cruise.

About 155 miles each way.

Got about 16 MPG

I am running a 670 Holley Street avenger carb.,and the engine also runs Merlin cyl heads.

Not too bad mileage I think.

Shawn