Engine run on

snomobeelr

Finally driving her a little . When I shut her off I get a little engine run on. Its Not horrible but annoying. She stars fine and runs fine. Park Idle is 1200 RPM and drive is around 8 to 900 lopey.   I run pump gas Super = 93 octane.

468  / 10-1 / Broddix Race rite oval port heads. RPM-AIR GAP Intake /MSD HEI / 20 initial timing. 

My 72 with a 350 does that now and then and usually when I turn off the key at a faster idle. That is one reason I always give a little rev and shut down to make the the idle is slow enough sothat run on does not happen. The timing being off can also cause that as my new 68 Nova with a 325 horse 327 did that and it was all in the timing on it.

It could be the Idle Stop Solenoid is not properly adjusted or not working properly. It is mounted on the drivers side of the carb. When you turn the key on this solenoid energizes ane you adjust your idle speed there. When you shut the key off this should disengage the solenoid causing the throttle linkage to drop the throttle out and starve the engine of gas and prevent the "diesel" effect you speak of.

I has been awhile since I adjusted one but I think, with the engine off, you turn the solenoid idle bolt all the way in and adhust the solenoid so, the throttle linkage won't touch the idle bolt head sticking out of the solenoid. Then start the engine, let it warm up to a normal idle and then adjust the bolt head to a desired idle speed. Like I said, it has been awhile since I adjusted one so my adjustment description may not be correct. Hopefully the below link will take you to a pi"ture of an idle solenoid, not necessarily the correct one.

Rob

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=idle+solenoid+picture

Like Sam said, prior to shutting it off, leave it in drive or reverse, turn off the key, put it into park.

When my original Qudrajet had worn primary throttle shaft bushings, the engine would not always return to the same idle speed. After having that repaired, it was fine.

I don't recommend a rev just prior to the shut down.

Bruce

He has a big cam, the initial timing and idle speed, I bet turning off the engine while still in gear will help

This.If everything else is where you want it, I wouldn't mess other things. This is an easy adjustment you can get used to.  Just remember to also get used to slapping it in park after you turn the key. Don't ask. :blush: