What is the difference between 1970 and 1971-2 fenders

Mikjone

Can someone explain or show a picture?

Is it just the headlight bezel that's different?

also are the extensions the same for all 3 years, front and rear?

Thank you, Mike

GM moved the location of the headlights in 71. When they did this the bolt that holds down the fender to the rad support needed to be moved up to allow clearance for the headlight which was now directly under this bolt. They stepped up the rad support and fender for clearance. As a result the 1970 fenders, rad support and, fender extensions are all for that year only.

The 72 has the same headlight location as 71 but there were further changes to the rad support to accommodate the turn signals in the 72 grille. Therefore, all three rad supports are different.

The ​fender extensions are different all three years.

1970 fender and rad support
med_gallery_588_4_1413157642_5416.jpg

1971/72 fender and rad support
med_gallery_588_4_1413157642_5415.jpg
         ​

• Like 1

Yes, well done Aaron! I would add that in 70 there were more rubber stoppers (2 or 3 vs 1 for the hood) on the fenders than 71 and 72. (Maybe I missed that above)

Bruce

Yes, well done Aaron! I would add that in 70 there were more rubber stoppers (2 or 3 vs 1 for the hood) on the fenders than 71 and 72. (Maybe I missed that above)

Bruce

In general, 1970 had three rubber bumpers and 71/72 just had one but I have seen 71/72 fenders with two or three bumpers. I have heard there were differences with regard to these rubber bumpers between the original factory fenders and ones later produced by GM but don't know for sure.

In general, 1970 had three rubber bumpers and 71/72 just had one but I have seen 71/72 fenders with two or three bumpers. I have heard there were differences with regard to these rubber bumpers between the original factory fenders and ones later produced by GM but don't know for sure.

Thats weird since my 70 has one on each side of the hood only in the front....the slots are not there for the other 4 bumpers for hood alignment.

A little more on the hood bumper thing, all 70 fenders were supposed to have 3 hood bumpers and they went to 1 in 71 72, BUT I once had a 70 fender that only had the one also, according to what Sam just said this must have been a replacement at some point.

A little more on the hood bumper thing, all 70 fenders were supposed to have 3 hood bumpers and they went to 1 in 71 72, BUT I once had a 70 fender that only had the one also, according to what Sam just said this must have been a replacement at some point.

Thats kind of thought, both the front fenders have been changed out at some point in its life.

• 2 weeks later...