Weird Transmission

vacavillebob

Hi Everyone:  I posted this a few years ago and still have not found anyone that can answer my question as to how to repair this.

I installed a 200R4 transmission in my 1970 350 Monte. Everything fits fine and I have driven it for about 5 years now. But to this day the speedometer does not work.  Now here is the weird part, if while driving I shift the car into neutral the speedometer works like it should. It even reads the correct speed I am doing according to the GPS. But when I shift back into drive or any gear it stops working. I have checked the gears and the speedometer cable and all seems good.

So has anyone ever heard of this happening and do you know how to correct it. I have asked every transmission person I can find and all the transmission people at all the swap meets all over the area. And no one seems to have an idea or ever even heard of such a thing.

Thanking you in advance,   Bob

I remember having this discussion before.....

if you have verified that the driven gear, cable and speedometer are all good, there is only one other thing it can be

there is a clip that secures the drive gear to the output shaft, if this clip was left out or fell out could cause this problem

one way to verify this is to remove the driven gear housing from the trans, using a screwdriver...use it to see if you can spin the gear on the output shaft, if you can...you have located the problem

but to fix this...since a 200 does not have a removable tailshaft, the trans will more than likely have to be removed and completely disassembled :eek:

• Like 1

Would that maybe cause an intermittent speedometer? Mine works when it wants to, bounces a lot when it does work, but sometimes is rock solid and indicates the correct speed. Sometimes when traveling at 60 it will just quit and go to zero and stay there for a bit before starting to work again. Same trans, 200-4r.

Good Morning:  I want to thank Tony, Sam, Craig and Cbolt for your replies.  I have talked to several transmission shops and not one of them had any idea why it is doing what it is doing. I did enjoy the video it explained a lot of the operation. thank you. Well it looks like I am going to be installing a new transmission soon, Mine is starting to slip in third gear now. So maybe a new rebuilt transmission will solve the problem. If not I will continue to search for the problem. Now starts the fun of shopping for a new rebuilt 200r4 transmission with a shift kit without  paying an arm and leg for haha.  Thank you everyone, I love the help you always supply here.   Bob

I am about to pull the trigger on a 200-4R from Bowties overdrive, a stage 3 unit for my big block, and to convert from a TH400....$3200

I know a few other who have used and are using one from Bowties with very good feedback about them

Sam, sound like a great idea. Perhaps you can do a photo "how to" segment for members who are on the fence about this swap.

Bruce

• 4 months later...

I'm coming in late on this topic, but after my first read of it, my first thought was the shifter itself moving something.

It's just a thought because the rotating column and the speedometer reside so close to one another in the dash. 

Is it possible that the speedometer cable is being pulled or deflected when you are in the drive position, and not when you are in the neutral position?

It's a wild guess for sure, but the speedometer cable has two ends that both need to work. Maybe the problem isn't at the trans end.