Replacsd valve cover with noise feel like valves are hitting the civer

71MonteCarloMD

What did you torque them. Of course, even if you torqued them down too much I would not think the arms should rap on them. Guess I may be grabbing for straws.

rob

I didnt touch them since I bought from previous owner that rebuilt the engine. I can try use my torque wrench, how many pounds?

And any specific order in torquing them?

I guess I'm a little confused because in your original post you said... "I replaced the valve cover with original ones and felt valves hitting the cover on drivers side only as the passenger side doesn't feel any valves hitting on cover." Now you say you didn't so it is hard to figure out the problem.

The torque for the valve cover bolts is 3 ft lbs. Sequence is not very critical.

rob

I don't know that a thicker gasket is really the answer. Personally, I would want to find out why it is happening. If they are, in fact, the original ones to that engine then they shouldn't hit with the original type or thicker gaskets. Can you tell if it is just one or multiple rockers hitting?

A little investigation now could save future issues.

rob

When I had my motor out 5 years ago I bought studs for my valve covers and love them. I am not a purists by any means as my 72 shows. The studs allows me to put the gasket on the engine and then put the valve covers on without having to play around getting the gasket lined up.

I would suspect if it happens on both covers but it only happens on drivers side as I couldn't tell if its hitting in specific area of th cover. Thats my initial thought as theres little difference in depth of gasket thickness. How do I know if the rockers and cam are original or not?

If Valve Cover(s) has internal splash guards, could be that Splash Guard Baffle

needs tapped down enough to make needed clearance.  I have had to do this

in the past on a rare occasion.  That solved the problem for me.

Just a thought!

Doug 

First it's important to establish: was everything fine BEFORE you changed the covers?

Chances are good if you don't have performance mods like a rough idle cam, you have the stock stamped steel rocker arms. Aftermarket rocker arms are pricey and don't offer performance gains really, so money is better spent elsewhere as someone starts beefing up a motor.

It's easy enough to pull off the valve cover and look at the underside for signs of contact.

How is the under side of the cover made? I had some M/T cast covers that had dippers that hit the rocker arms. One thing you could do is check the the over all height of your valve train by laying the gasket on the head and then use a straight edge across the gasket and measure up to the rocker arm and then repeat on the valve cover. I'm sure you swap the new covers from side to side and got the same issue (if not you could try and swap them or even turn the cover around).

They are the stock rockers and got to assume theres no monster cam in it I would be looking at the underside of the covers. Possable damaged baffle between the rockers or something like that. Compare them to the ones that were on there see if theres any difference.

• 1 month later...