Bleeding a new master

Rock

I had a similar bad experience with a "new" (actually re-manufactured) master cylinder.  Although Bendix and Delco Morraine master cylinders were both used on our first gen Montes (and they use the same mounting bolt pattern and line connection ports), they have different internal pistons and require different length actuator rods through the booster.  

The first Bendix master cylinder I purchased was a complete assembly with a new booster attached so that was all good.  The problem was that the internal piston used for the rebuild was the wrong one so the supply port in the rear brake chamber was never exposed to an opening during the normal piston stroke. (see first photo below) The front chamber primed and pumped well but nothing worked on the rear chamber.

P9033528.jpg

I exchanged that master cylinder for another re-manufactured Bendix and you can see the difference in the rear chamber supply port in the photo below.  Just can't assume that all "new" replacement parts will work.

P9083649.jpg

I noticed the one I took off the piston was not the same as the one I bought but I recieved 2 different length push rods when I bought the new booster. When I bled the master both the front and rear ports were flowing fluid so I assume this one will work.

Not having much luck with this gravity bleeding thing. It drips out real slow at the bleeder valve. How long or how much fluid should I go through? I capped off the right rear after the bowl was almost empty and now I am on the left rear.

Glen, I've never tried gravity bleeding so I can't give any advice with that.   My wife is chief pedal pumper so I always bleed the lines with master cylinder pressure.  It's reasonably fast and gets the job done just fine.

In the 70's a mechanic at the FORD dealership I worked for would gravity bleed all the time. I remember he would insert a long pry bar or screwdriver between the brake pedal and ft of the seat. He then adjusted the seat forward till the brake pedal was depressed, but I don't know how far.

It worked for him but I never tried it.

My then 5 year old daughter helped me years ago bleed the brakes in my 71 Monte. After she grew up and got married her husband thanked me for teaching her how to bleed brakes.

Bruce

I may need to borrow some feet. My wife is a no go. And my daughter .....lmao. My son is working a lot but like I said I have 5 months of winter ahead of me.

I finally chased my son over to help bleed the brakes and we got her done. We removed all old fluid which was pretty dark and nasty with all new fluid. I still think I need to redo the rear brakes. I don't think the self adjusters are working.

Sam, you are so right on that point!

Adjusting your rear brakes also changes how well your parking brake works.

Bruce

Rear self adjusters are pretty worthless. Just manual adjust once a year or two.

my self adjusters work fine, they adjust when you apply the brakes when in reverse

Glen, snug up the rear brakes until you get a slight drag, and if the brakes are new, drive it a while to burn off the fuzz then re-adjust them

my self adjusters work fine, they adjust when you apply the brakes when in reverse

Glen, snug up the rear brakes until you get a slight drag, and if the brakes are new, drive it a while to burn off the fuzz then re-adjust them

That is what I have always done with no issues.

rob