SS Buckets and No Console

SS Haze

Entered the Monte in a local show and I continue to get the occasional 'expert' who insists that it's not a real #s matching SS because it doesn't have a console with the stratobuckets. I use to be a little miffed but since this car has been in the family since new, I know different. Anyone else have similar discussions with people? (the interior isn't really that gray)

Haze

8-07382.jpg

All the time.

"Did they really have a 402 Big Block?"

"I thought that the air level shocks were SS only?"

Blah blah, just ignore these 'experts', you know better...

I want you to know that my data plate confirms my car was built with buckets and no center column - I have shifter column.

And a build sheet that confirms it is a real SS.

Some people just "know it all" wink

As long as YOU know the truth!!

Hey, it could have been worse. At least he didn't argue that they made console and no buckets cars! lol

Why not make a copy of the build sheet and display it at the car show?

Great idea,copy of build sheet of course that expert will say thats not a real build sheet.:lol:

You know what it is,thats what really matters.But I know it would tick me off if someone was telling me it's not when it is!

Just nod,smile and ignore them!

Mike

I still remeber the argument i had with the guy at the local Chevy dealership when i went to get a cap, rotor, plugs and wires for a tuneup.

"They NEVER put a 402 in a Monte" and he insisted that my motor wasn't original.

I employ the nod a walk method too ... it's usually a waste of time trying to correct them as they don't usually want to change thier minds.

I don't get upset about it. Knowing my Uncle John (original owner) the way I do, I can easily see him grumbling that the console cost too much. No a/c either. Robs HP. As for the build sheet, I'm going check the front seat backs this week. The back seat was out earlier in the year and nothing. As for the gas tank, the car was undercoated 37 years ago and the roof tar gets all over everything. I'm not looking forward toward doing that anytime soon.

Haze

Some people think they "know it all" and in reality they don't know much AT ALL!!!

My small block 350 car has bucket seats and console, but ITS NOT NO WHERE NEAR AN SS. smile

Your car is a real SS, the buckets and console was not standard with any package.

Some people..... mad

I had a guy two years ago at a cruise insist that he had a 17K mile original SS454 LS6 4-speed Monte. His mother was the original owner. I must have been in a mood that night because I told him that I had a pink elephant in my back yard. When he looked at me I gave him the standard line about no documented examples have ever turned up. He said that he'd bring the car to the cruises with the documentation. Guess what ... no car has turned up! Big surprise.

Gotta love those who profess to know everything. If I knew everything I'd run for GOD! The last time I checked ... it wasn't an elected position!

Entered the Monte in a local show and I continue to get the occasional 'expert' who insists that it's not a real #s matching SS because it doesn't have a console with the stratobuckets. Anyone else have similar discussions with people?

Absolutely. My SS is well optioned, but has a bench seat. You can imagine some of the "expert opinions" I've heard. It's best to let the "experts" go bother someone else than argue with them. That leaves time to talk to the people willing to listen and learn.

A friend of ours has a beautifully-restored '55 Chevy Bel Air. Appearance-wise the car is pretty stock except for the Cragar S/S wheels and white letter tires, and he did an excellent job on it.

He attends quite a few shows with it, and he's told me about how so many people are "know-it-alls" and then ask him stupid questions on top of it! He said he should have a whiffle bat with him so that he could whack 'em upside the head when they do that so everyone at the show would know what kind of a character they are by their swollen red ear!

WHACK!

"What was that?"

"Oh, it sounds like Cecil's just dealing with another know-it-all again!" laugh

Dave