SS Trim

ripleydale

Is it possible to get SS trim for a 1971 model? I like the subtle look with the piece below the trunk and on the lower trim molding, and assume you guys (and Capri) restoring them must have to source these things somewhere. I'm not trying to pass it off as real, and I don't plan on looking for the air ride system.

Leo, (Klassik1) will be your best bet, you can get the center piece from thepartsplace.com, its the same as the lower one, take a look at the picture in my signature, mine is a clone of sorts too smile

Kelly,

I used all my original trim on the back except the rubber bumper strip.

I do know that you can get almost everything including the rubber strip on the bumper at the parts place or some of the other suppliers listed here. Leo is a good source. The only thing that I know of that you can't get is the two upper side mouldings. Hope this helps.

Vaughn

Someone is custom making the 2 upper side moldings, that is what Leo told me.

Give him a call and he can pass the info along to you.

The price is up there though.

810-329-6868

810-334-4162

You should be able to reach him on one of those numbers.

Hope this helps. smile

Thanks gents. However, I'm a little more confused now. I went to www.thepartsplaceinc.com and found the rocker panel emblems. It looks like it would just go over my existing trim, right? I found the trunk lid emblem but assume I still need the black panel below the trunk. So I'm not sure if when you say center piece, and upper side moldings, you're talking about the black bits below the trunk lid, center, right side and left side. Am I missing anything besides the rubber bumper strip (which I think I'll pass on)? Again, thanks for the help.

Kelly

Kelly,

Yes, the "SS454" rocker panel emblems attach to the existing trim and are centered on the thick (upper) black-painted stripe area.

As far as the rear panel/trim, it's easy to see why you're confused. I believe the terms "center piece" and "upper side moldings" that others have referred to are the small horizontal bright pieces (there are three of them) that trim the top of the rear panel right below the trunklid edge. The black portion is simply the rear body panel area that is located below the trunk lid, between the tail lights and above the bumper - which is painted black on a '71 SS454. I believe that the lower horizontal trim pieces (above the bumper) are the same for all '70/'71 Monte Carlos, so your car should have them already.

Hope this helps,

Dave

The fog has lifted. Thanks Dave. I was assuming the piece below the trunk was solid, sort of like the back of a 72. Didn't realize the black was just paint (although if I'd read the tech info a little better, it is stated there). Thanks again everyone, I'll contact Leo.