Buying a new tranny! Any suggestions?

2ndChance72

Need your help! Putting in a GM Performance 350 crate engine 330hp deluxe HO. the rear end is a 12 bolt posi with 355 gear. What tranny would you recommend I buy? What stall should I have? Trying to keep it in the $1,000 to $1,100 range. Really not interested in the 700R! Thanks Guys!

I'd call ATI transmissions, I've used their valve bodies and torque converters with good results, and they have a very good reputation.

I would NOT buy a B&M, just based on several peoples results on this forum recently. One couple had been through 2 or 3 B&M transmissions that did not work within a month or two!

I'd guess a torque converter with a stall in the range of 2000-2500. What kind of gears do you have in the rear end? If you have highway gears, you might stick to the lower range of stall speed, if you have lower gears, go to the higher side.

ATI Performance

If you go with a 200-4R it is a bolt in. Drive-shaft length is the same. Very simple to hookup a switch for the lock-up torque converter. You do have to install the TV cable. If you can find one in a vehicle (junk yard) and get everything from the donor car it will be much simpler and cheaper. If you have Craigslist in your area you might be able to locate one there for a very reasonable cost.

I don't want to hijak Jimmy's thread but I think that the idea is that he is going to buy a NEW trans (350th) from Summit/Jegs to go with a new crate engine (GM 350 / 330hp) and he is looking to see what other people would recomend or have had good results with as far as quality and proformance.

dont' even consider the 400.. it's way too heavy, way too expensive, and way to ineffecient for a 330hp engine.

don't over look your local hole-in-the-wall tranny shops. I have a trans shop right across the street that the guy has been running in his home barn for 20 years and he build rocksolid trannies for dirt, dirt cheap.

there's my 3 cents :>

thanks all , Scott could you start the poll and see what we come up with , i have a local trans builder but i am building the car in Michigan and Jimmy lives in Flordia , if there is a problem i want Jimmy to be able to deal with it in the future as shipping or removing the trans for repair and warrenty is not feasible if i use a local builder , we are looking for other club members experience with aftermarket transmissions , customer service , personnel experience , problems encountered

THANKS MUCH

Leo

• 3 months later...
Guest Orange Flame 72
monte70car, Yes I'm looking for a 350/350 combo. Plans for the car - is just your typical street fun stuff! wink Nothing to serious!! cool Have a particular brand for me?

TCI StreetFighter TH350 - good for 450HP+ ($850 at Summit). I'm using one behind my 383.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had both gm and B&M turbo 350's, both worked fine. I f you are going to use a Factory Gm Transmission add a transpack kit from B&M or TCI cost around 65.00. This will firm up your shifts and pro-long the trannys life. The stall conv. depends on your cam, rear-end,hp, torque, and weight of your car.

Example> my 70 Monte I am building now has 10.1 comp., Edelbrock Performer rpm heads(64cc), Comp 280h magnum cam 280 deg. duration with a 488 lift. Edelbrock Performer Rpm dual plane intake, and a Holley 750 carb, Headers ect. Rearend is going to be a 3.73 maybe 3.90 posi. car weighs quessing(3200 to 3400)

For this set up I am using the Transpack in the factory Trans(Turbo 350) with a B&M holeshot 3000 Stall Conv.

Good rule of thumb for Advertised cam durations, up to 248 degrees 2000 to 2400 stall, up to 268 degree 2400 to 3000 stall, over 272 degree 3000 to 3600 stall.

I think it will be worth the drive to SC...

Cook's Racing Transmissions

864-463-4769

LMAO!!! $1000-1100 range. Ouch is all I can say. The other day I took my core Turbo 350 up to Cooks' and it was $235. Fully built for racing, extra clutches, all the tough stuff. He supplies trannys withing a 200-300 mile radius. His stuff is at all dragstrips around here.

You can think I'm full of crap for saying it was only $235, but I am telling you the truth. Atleast that is what it cost me. The highest price I've heard is $350.

• 3 weeks later...

Try P.A.T.C.(Performance Automotive Transmission Center). They build some nasty turbo 350's. You could also look at Gearstar. They build everything from stock to 2000hp tranny's. If the car is going to Florida try asking all the local hotrod guys and see who is building their tranny's. In Florida I'm sure there are many shops that could build you a good turbo 350 and then stand behind it.

• 4 months later...

If you want a nice TH 350 and not in a hurry, I will have mine out later this year. It is a real smooth shifter and I'd like to find a nice home for it- preferably in another Monte!!