1970 454 engine question

Guest 67SS&99SS

Guest 67SS&99SS

Hello all, I am a new member to this forum. My uncle has had a big block chevy since the mid 70s and from researching on other websites, and this one, I think that the engine is a 1970 monte Carlo LS5 454. The engine has two bolt mains, the casting # is 3963512 and has T0904CRN on the front pad. I do not know if it as a partial vin on the front pad or not. My uncle only gave me T0904CRN. I have been told this vin could also be on the side of the block directly above where the oil filter is. This is because the cars were made in two plants, correct? I will have him look for a partial vin, but I need to know where they are located on the block. I am most familiar with first generation camaros, and I know they were made in two plants, the norwood plant (NOR) and the Los Angles/Van Nuys plant (LOS). We do not have a 454 Monte Carlo, and thought that someone on this site could use the engine. It needs to be completely rebuilt, but all of the pieces are there except for the carb, distributor, fuel pump, air cleaner assembly, a few rocker arms, push rods and manifolds. I have only dealt with small block engines in the past, so I do not know what an engine like this would be worth. It would be cool to reunite it with the car it belongs with, or it could be a close date code to someoneelse's car. I have one image of the entire motor and one fuzzy image of the casting number on the back of the block.

122230949.jpg

122230975.jpg

Guest 71SSMC

Yes that motor is a 1970 Tonawanda Built LS5, Could be from a Monte or a Chevelle, I'm sure you'll find some interest in it here.

By the way welcome to the boards.

Guest 67SS&99SS

Thanks 71SSMC. That is what I have been confused about. I've seen two different things on the web. One being that the motor could be a 4 speed LS5 Chevelle engine, and the other being that it is a Monte engine. Would a vin on the block help determine what kind of car it came out of?

I don't know if you have the origional valve covers or not. I think the SS Chevelles had chrome valve covers but the SS Monte did not. I am pretty sure the VIN will not tell us what kind of a car the engine came out of unless someone can match the number on the block to their VIN.

Thanks for making the engine available to our members. As to a value of the engine, That I can't help you with but someone may be able to assist you on that one. If you haven't opened the engine to inspect the insides it makes it harder. Do you know if the engine turns over freely? If you could give information on those things it may assist a member in determining if it is of any value to anyone.

Rob

The stamping on the front pad or by the oil filter would only have the last 6 of the vin, not the starting 13857. CRN shows up as either a 70 chevelle/elcamino 390hp with manual trans or as a 70 monte 454 with th400.

It would be cool to reunite it with the car it belongs with, or it could be a close date code to someoneelse's car.

Yes, that would be cool! Thanks for making it available and welcome to the FGMCC website. smile

Dave