Heater core replacement directions/help

Guest donho72

Guest donho72

Howdy Everyone ! I'm a new member and own a 1972 monte with A/C. The heater core is leaking and I need some direction on replacing this without destroying this nice dashboard. I purchased a dash board removal guide off EBay but still want to get some pointers from the pros in the club. wink If Anyone can help ,,,,,,,,,,, I'd appreciate it !!!Thanks donho72

Guest ADGTRUNKLID

Welcome Don!!! Glad you finally made it on the board. I do not recall removing my dash when I change my heater core on my 70; it was all done from underneath the dash. I am sure someone will chime in that has done this recently.

Again welcome to the FGMCC fgmcc

jaylene,

i got my heater core the same day ,right from my local part store.

i paid 24 dollars for it .

no shipping just walk in and get it.

cancel your order with opg and call autozone or napa.

opg is a big waist of time and money!

just my 2 cents.

I got mine at a local auto parts store also. The only problem I had was the fact that the box looked like it had been around since 71, and it had a non A/C heater core in it. They ordered another and it was correct.

I also tore my heater box apart and cleaned everything. I bought a seal kit and replaced all the seals. Hard to believe how dirty it was inside.

jaylene,

i got my heater core the same day ,right from my local part store.

i paid 24 dollars for it .

no shipping just walk in and get it.

cancel your order with opg and call autozone or napa.

opg is a big waist of time and money!

just my 2 cents.

OMG...you guys are awesome. We've been busy on the interior so I haven't really been worried about the heater core...I think I will see how long it actually takes OPG to finally call me...if they ever do. I really think that I will write a letter to corporate and just let them know what kind of reputation they are building on the internet. They brag about how wonderful they are.

I ordered carpet at the same time...got tired of waiting for it and ordered some from another place, it was shipped within 1 day and I had it in less then 1 week. It's the exact same carpet that I was ordering from OPG. The reason I ordered all this stuff from OPG in the first place was because they had double frequent buyers points going....I have almost 1500 points which means I get $90 worth of merchandise free. We bought Essex Ultra Plush carpeting from Stock Interiors because I don't really care for the stock loop stuff....the Essex is so soft and gorgeous and I can't wait to get it in the car!

Anyhow thanks for the tip on the heater core. I'll be heading to Autozone today to see if they have one in stock for us as well!

You guys Rock!

Jaylene

Guest 71SSMC

I bought my heater core from advance auto it was about 20.00.

Like Scott said also try and clean out everything, I had my entre car apart so everything got cleaned in the mop sink or with the garden hose. The heater box was full of crap mostly Pecan tree leaves ( Georgia Car )

The heater box was full of crap mostly Pecan tree leaves ( Georgia Car )

Sooo was ours..Rat Crap...LA car.hehehe We already cleaned the heaterbox out before we put the front end back together...when we first installed our engine the heater box got crunched due to Mikes lame pit crew (me and the kids...:lol:)So it had to be replaced and thanks to Leo Konik for selling me the box at a fabulous price...its done. Of course about a month later the core started leaking....mad we should have replaced it when we had it open nutz oh well live and learn.

Other stuff I have found IN STOCK at Autozone... wheel cylinders, brake pads, brake hoses, rotors, radiator hoses, shocks, thermostats, fan belts, heater blower motor etc.

I replaced my heater core about a year before I dismantled the car for resto. When I recently was putting my heater box back in the car, I knew to just spend the 25.00 for a new one just because it is such a bear to change out, especially when all the rest of the interior is in. Naturally putting the box back in with a bare firewall and no dash is the optimal way to do this. So good luck, and take your time. Labor intensive, but not technically hard.

you can also get _EVERYTHING_ for the front and rear suspension :>

all the tie rod ends, drag link, pitman arm, steering box, ball joints, Control arm bushings.. etc.. at Advance Auto...

don.. It took dave and I about a day (we spread it out over two days with a late afternoon start) to change his heater core.. if you work slow and careful, it's not really even difficult.. neither of us had done it in the car before. (I had removed and installed my AC box before, but I had no engine or dash in the car )

the only _REAL_ swine is the lower-left nut as you are facing the firewall from the engine compartment.. that nut is back and under the evap. core cover, and invisible.. you will want a 1/4" drive ratchet and many extensions .. :>

becareful with the control cable that goes from the panel to the box.. it breaks real easy (dont' ask me how I know)