I Got No Brakes!!

420ponies

Hi, I got no brakes (or very little).pedal pushes hard when engine is running and in gear.I installed a vacum tank(Summit) so I would have some in reserve for the brakes.Cam is around .510 lift,.244 at half lift,I know I should be running a 4spd with this.I have a Turbo 350/w 2500 stall converter,now it doesn't stall out when put in gear.Brakes are hard, wondering if its going to stop.have'nt had it on the road, but man its hard to get in the trailer.standing on the pedal most of the time.The only thing on this I have not replaced is the vacum booster.It looked like it had been replaced prior to buying car.I've checked vacum line to intake (under carb), check valves (replaced).Going to take it home from the body shop,Thought I'd get some advice as to what I did wrong here!Anyone ever had this problem? HELP PLEASE! Thanks

if I read that right.. u have a .244° duration at .050?

you shouldn't need a vacuum canister at all.

my cam is 214/224 @ .050 and .442/.465 lift and I run the factory booster right off the intake manifold.

sounds to me like your booster has ruptured.

your engien shoudn't stall with amild cam like that and no stall converter.

ok.. I re-read this while not dog tired.... u said 244.. not 224... but you still shouldnt' have vacuum problems with a cam that small...

You should be able to push moderate on the brake pedal and with your foot resting on the pedal, start the engine. When the engine starts the vacuum booster should pull the pedal downward from under your foot a bit if it's working.

Hi, Thanks everyone for the input.I'm going over to the shop this week and try some things.I'm thinking it's the booster.I don't think the pedal goes down after starting it up.Just feels like manual brakes to me.I'll let you know what I find out. But thanks again for the advice.

Pop the vacuum line off the booster. If booster bladder is ruptured, it should feel the same with or without vacuum connection.

Carl

Hi to who replied;

Well I hate to say this,but it was my fault.I had the vacuum lines switched on the reserve tank.I started it up and pulled the vacuum line off the brake booster,no vacuum. Then pulled the line running from the intake to reserve tank,lots of vacuum. switched lines, now I have power brakes.Thanks Again for the advice.Getting ready to take it back from the body shop where its been for over 3 yrs.Yeah, he's glad its going home.But now he wants me to help him with a 1967 camaro(stock rebuild).One hand washes the other I guess.Again, Thanks to all of ya!!

I made a mistake once... Well, not really, I thought I made a mistake once but I was mistaken.

Rob