Side Exhaust Question

Guest Evil Austin

Guest Evil Austin

So I want to route my exhaust out the sides in front of the rear wheels, but I look and it seems like there would be a ground clearance issue unless I went with some zoomie pipes like NASCAR or I went straight through the frame and had a flex coupler in the exhaust.

I know a few of you have/had it so I would like to know how your setup is.

Thanks !

Austin

I ran mine out in the location you mention years ago...I remember I could not come up with anything that would make it not stick down...particularly if it is a large diameter.

It did look good close up but when looking at it from a distance with a full profile view it definately was hanging down at one point to clear the frame... frown

Bill

Good call Sam, I forgot about oval exhaust.

You could have this part exiting under the frame by the tire...I think it would look cool with an oval tip.

They make an adaptor that transitions back to round.

This SITE has some pretty neat stuff.

Bill

Oval%2045-2.jpg

Oval%2090.jpg

Oval%20to%20round%20adaptor.jpg

just beware... side exit exhaust may be illegal in your state!

for our montes, it is illegal in michigan!! (I was stopped by a state trooper and nearly given a ticket for it)

In michigan, the exhaust has to exit in the factory location. (That's how the law is written)

so for our montes, that means out the back under the rear bumper.

I had twin 2.5" pipes with glasspacks and an elbow to dump it just in front of the rear tires (out the sides) and besides his comment it was too loud, he chastised me about it being illegal.. I didn't believe him so I went and read teh whole 'rule book' on cars, I can't remember what michigan calls it.. ooh yeah.. Motor Vehicle Safety Codes or somthing like that.

I think Pa state inspection used to state that it had to be at least behind the rear tires due to fume problems, but Im not sure if its that way still, that was a while back. I cant imagine anyone pulling you over for exhaust coming out somewhere other than factory, unless your doing something to attract attention first.

I used to get pulled over a lot in my 69 Chevelle, but it was all in primer, with Cragar SS wheels, seemed to be a magnet for police. They had me for silly stuff like rear bumper was too high off the ground due to air shocks, and fog lights were turned on without any other running lights on. But I was younger and stupider (if you can believe that) and I can honestly say I deserved the hassle. I drive the Monte pretty much the same way, and all I get from the police is a thumbs up! smile

was it mopar that had to run their exhaust to the back and them to the side of the cars? anyone remember that? i know the vettes had sidepipes and all they did was run off the lead pipe and then to the side of the car.

Guest Evil Austin

Ok well I was just hoping to hear from a few gents that have had it, and it seems I will be going with the NASCAR zoomie (oval) piping out the side to get my ground clearance.

I do know the laws in CA quite well, and with all the hotrods driving around, I think I am ok. If I do get an exhaust ticket, I have my ways of getting that handled.

drgas.com has a lot of the nascar stuff as well as spintech mufflers, their site isn't working at the moment but they do have them !

-EA

yet again, you guys didn't read what I said..

THE EXHAUST MUST EXIT IN THE _FACTORY_ LOCATION

that makes side exit illegal FOR OUR MONTES

yes, some trucks had side exit.. some covettes had 'lake pipes'.. even the viper has side exit.

our monte's exited under the rear bumper, that means the exhaust has to exit there.. period. (per the law)

i actully left a little bit out about that.. the officer said that the exhaust had to exit behind the rear axle... this is what made me go look the laws up... like u guys.. i knew that there were a lot of vehicles on the road that had side exit factory..

i believe it's the federal safety standards that say the exhaust has to exit behind the passenger compartment.. in a car, that's pretty much AT the rear axle.. maybe just behind.. in a pickup/truck, it's just behind the cab...

on a 2 seater sports car, its possible it's just infront of the rear tire (Dodge Viper)

Like I said, unless you are doing something to attract attention....how many police see a Monte, and then look up the correct factory exhaust location on them, then check your exhaust exit?

Seems like one of them "Add On" fines they could hit you with, but I still cant see that happening.

Guest Evil Austin

IF a cop pulls me over and states that my exhaust is not in the correct factory location, he is going to find a lot more "to-do" about my Monte than just my exhaust then haha.

"Go big or go home"

-EA

boy i know alot of cars that would get pulled over. must of your pro-street cars either exit infront of the rear end or just behind the doors. and they are driven all the time even with hiistical plates on them. they is also a law that states the muffler must be the same size as factory nutz but back to my mopar question they ran they exhaust to the rear of the car and bought the exhaust back to the front so they could use sidepipes. one thing about side pipes you will burn the heck out of your legs if your not carefully. if you want to make a statement with exhaust maybe look into a chamber exhaust like the 69 chevelles and camaros could have. but i think must cops will pull you over its the exhaust is to loud. i know we got pulled over one time in my dad chevelle b/c the police office wanted to look at the car. he used the smoked plate cover for the reason to pull us over. 5:00 in the evening driving into the sun and he had sunglasses on looking into the sun guess it would be hard to see the plate.

it's one of those 'stupid' laws.. that only gets enforced when you encounter a cop with a 'tude.

like tony said.. I got his attention with it being too loud.. then when he walked up he told me about the side exit being illegal.. ah well.. all i'm sayin.. is check your local laws first :>

My exhaust exits there and I used regular round tube pipe .I just put the pipe in a vise with blocks of wood and sandwhiched it dow to the look I was wanting........Mine are right up against the frame and I have no issue whats so ever with clearences while driveing.My car sits a few inches lower than a stock ride height so You wont have any issues there but I will say this cruising down the Highway with the windows down will pull fumes into the car so just be aware of that.

Guest Evil Austin
My exhaust exits there and I used regular round tube pipe .I just put the pipe in a vise with blocks of wood and sandwhiched it dow to the look I was wanting........Mine are right up against the frame and I have no issue whats so ever with clearences while driveing.My car sits a few inches lower than a stock ride height so You wont have any issues there but I will say this cruising down the Highway with the windows down will pull fumes into the car so just be aware of that.

Thank you so much man, I wanted at least one person with a rectangle exhaust to chime in. Right on then, and as far as exhaust getting pulled in. . . drive faster devil

-Evel