1971 Restoration - A long road

15 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

I don't know of anyone who has used a liquid sound deadening material.  I also don't know of anyone who has used it in the trunk.  Most people use a foil backed material like Fatmat for the interior floors and interior firewall.  Getting something like a foil backed material or even a liquid into the door panels may be hard.  As far as square footage I can't answer that.

rob

Maybe for now I will skip the trunk, it's certainly the easiest to go back to at a later date if needed. I am not worried about getting foil backed material into the doors, sound deadening is one of the pieces I am not concerned about my ability! My daily driver has fully deadened doors that I did a couple years back, they feel like solid rock. 

13 hours ago, Dtret said:

I know you want to do something. But I would hold off until the dash goes in. It will just be something in the way. The dash and all that goes with installation is a tough job and that will be in your way. Can you do it. Absolutely. 

13 hours ago, Michael Boyte said:

I fully understand wanting to do something, however I too would wait to install the steering column, as said it will be in the way and you will just double work yourself unnecessarily.  

If you really want to do something, I'm sure you have some parts that you could clean up and paint as need be. 

I think you are both right, it makes sense to wait. Maybe I just need to get on and order some sound deadening to start with that. Not much to clean or paint at the moment, although there is some of the old headliner to remove, so that might be the ticket for now. 

Different subject, anyone know what this bar is? It does not appear factory but is welded just behind the drivers door:

20221116_095322.jpg.8fed26d5af01268837a27199fc72b0ea.jpg20221116_095334.jpg.995d48ba062062fd46faef17c7b31d5e.jpg

Red line is the back of the drivers door, arrow pointing to the front of the car.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:50 AM, abcdefghii said:

That's not a bad idea, getting the engine running will feel like a huge milestone. Although at the moment, I have no seats, worn or otherwise!! 

Is this a good harness to get the majority of things up and running - https://www.opgi.com/ignition-electrical/electrical-wiring/american-autowire-classic-update-wiring-harness/wiring-harness-kit-american-autowire-classic-update-1970-72-monte-carlo-m240171.html

I forget if the car came with AC or not, will have to determine whether it did. I want to say yes, just can't remember right now for certain. I should grab a picture of the garage that it will eventually end up in (hopefully, with a 65 Mustang that is currently in need of everything thanks to the previous owner letting it sit and rot for 20 years).

That is a factory A/C car based on the firewall. People take them out all the time and I cannot figure a move like that out for the life of me. Look around for "take out" parts on www.chevelles.com. Guys over there are often selling complete systems that they have removed ( ???????? ). Again it beats me but to each his own.

Most all parts are still available new and there are places that specialize in A/C parts for these cars. Easy research via the net can get you what you need. Also, the A-Body A/C systems are common to all 70 / 72 A-Body cars Buick / Olds  / Pontiac so don't limit your search to just Chevies. Some of the softer parts like wiring (because of different control locations) may be different but the evaporator housing / evaporator and blower motors are the same.

• Like 1

I ordered my 71 W/O A/C because I ran out of money.

About 20 years later I wanted to add it and got all the parts (Including part of the firewall) to add it but decided I didn't want to do that much work.

Still have all the parts in the basement.

It's not a terrible amount of work if ya go slow and call a "time out" when ya get tired. Once I realized that the non A/C and A/C firewalls had the same positions for the studs that hold the air handler on the passengers side of the firewall and the Evap housing on the engine side as well as the blower motor mounting portion of the evap housing I powered forward with the conversion. Below are a couple of pics that I might have posted to another thread already, maybe you saw them maybe not.

First pic is the firewall with the new A/C air flow transition hole cut and the old non A/C airflow transition hole still open. Second pic is the plate (from the third Pic) in place covering the non A/C transition hole and the A/C air handler in place under the dash.

On another subject...I have been messing around with the idea of lowering my car a bit and was considering contacting you to see what springs are on the back end of your car. I think the rear end of my car is too high and I am NOT a fan of that jacked up rear end look, not even a little bit. Honestly I go back and forth on the spring idea but the fact that I can't make a decision tells me I am not satisfied the way it is. Perhaps you are still running the stock springs from the factory? Any chance you know the code that is (was?) on the paper tags that is used to identify what load the factory springs are rated at?

4DF25922-BBE4-495C-9D98-450F48C26767.jpeg

B2E8BB7B-FADB-424C-857B-2AFA248A6DE3.jpeg

975FB792-B4AE-4620-BFAD-7E6D75718DD7_1_201_a.jpeg

7726C712-6189-47C7-8214-B6A195E58E66.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LS65Speed said:

On another subject...I have been messing around with the idea of lowering my car a bit and was considering contacting you to see what springs are on the back end of your car.

To be honest, I have no idea what springs are on there. I'll take a look underneath later today and see if there are any markings or part numbers visible. 

16 minutes ago, abcdefghii said:

To be honest, I have no idea what springs are on there. I'll take a look underneath later today and see if there are any markings or part numbers visible. 

Whoops I screwed up. I meant to be sending that to Stangeba. He is the first and only owner of his car so if he can figure out what rate spring is in there I know what spring produces the ride height he has. I you still want to take a look for me great!

BTW the new  shop / garage is "to kill for". What is your opinion on the ride height of my rattle trap...opinions always welcome.

• Like 1

No worries, to be honest I was looking at mine and thinking it's not low? haha.... thanks, the shop / garage is great, if only COVID had not made it cost way over budget, it would be perfect!! 

I like your ride height, but on some of these older cars I think they look better a little taller.  Is it level front to rear? just too high for what you really want? 

9 minutes ago, abcdefghii said:

No worries, to be honest I was looking at mine and thinking it's not low? haha.... thanks, the shop / garage is great, if only COVID had not made it cost way over budget, it would be perfect!! 

I like your ride height, but on some of these older cars I think they look better a little taller.  Is it level front to rear? just too high for what you really want? 

9 minutes ago, abcdefghii said:

Mine is more or less level front to rear and it is very close to the. factory spec for ground nto lower frame rail height. I just have a burr  uner my saddle about this and I keep waffling back and forth about what i might do about it, or not do about it.  I don't like the rear high short deck / nose low long hood...it just doesn't work for me. Stangeba's car seems level front to rear also but it mis lower overall from what I can determine

• Like 1

I replaced the springs on my 71 because I felt it was bottoming out, back in the late 80's and remember getting them from a Chevrolet dealer and went stock on the rear but ordered springs for a 350 with A/C. I don't have A/C but thought I would some day. (not)

I don't have any part numbers or spring info. I had air shocks on in the 70's for my snowmobile trailer, but removed them during the resto.

I remember thinking the original ft springs were so low, the new replacement ft springs would shrink after several years and they did a bit, but not as much.

Perhaps a funny story, to me, I was asked by CARC INC., in March 2004, if they could take pictures of my car for there catalog and or calendar. I agreed and drove to a studio on Van Dyke in Centerline, Michigan. The photographer was great and set my car up to take the pictures. After adjusting the camera he said the car was a bit too high and did something to the suspension to lower both ft and rear. Here are 3 of the pictures I took when they were getting ready. What a great day, and it didn't snow!!

P3150002.jpg

P3150006.jpg

P3150010.jpg

• Like 9

15 hours ago, stangeba said:

I replaced the springs on my 71 because I felt it was bottoming out, back in the late 80's and remember getting them from a Chevrolet dealer and went stock on the rear but ordered springs for a 350 with A/C. I don't have A/C but thought I would some day. (not)

I don't have any part numbers or spring info. I had air shocks on in the 70's for my snowmobile trailer, but removed them during the resto.

I remember thinking the original ft springs were so low, the new replacement ft springs would shrink after several years and they did a bit, but not as much.

Perhaps a funny story, to me, I was asked by CARC INC., in March 2004, if they could take pictures of my car for there catalog and or calendar. I agreed and drove to a studio on Van Dyke in Centerline, Michigan. The photographer was great and set my car up to take the pictures. After adjusting the camera he said the car was a bit too high and did something to the suspension to lower both ft and rear. Here are 3 of the pictures I took when they were getting ready. What a great day, and it didn't snow!!

P3150002.jpg

P3150006.jpg

P3150010.jpg

Love the backdrop for the PICs. Perfect complement to the car color with the whitewall tires.  Still tossing this around, went and looked at the Gallery section for pictures that showed ride height. I see one that is level and more or less what I have for ride height and I say "That is OK leave it alone" then I see something closer to what you have and say "Maybe I really want that ride height".  Who knows where I will finally come down on this. Thank you for the response. 

5 minutes ago, Michael Boyte said:

You could consider air-ride , all 4 corners,  Then you can change stance with the push of a button. 

We really do enjoy that setup !

Looked quickly at Summit.... prices are way above what i would consider spending. The idea sounds good but considering that expensive rear springs are maybe $200 a pair and easy to install I can't see that kind of money (air ride) going under the car.

First I gotta decide what I want then figure out what rear springs will deliver that ride height.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Not much by way of actual progress happening, but starting to catalog what parts I have, which appears to be several things more than I need.... 

4 doors (I already have 2 on the car)

4 dashes 

Looks like 8 taillights

multiple sets of chrome trim.

So, looks like this weekend will be sorting out what I need and what I don't, the doors for example have glass and I believe one set has power windows, so I need to remove those pieces. My thinking is that I can try to eventually sell some of the things I don't need in order to fund the things that I do. 

Progress, but not, but sort of.

20230512_102024.jpg

20230512_102017.jpg

20230512_102002.jpg

Those parts might come in handy later on down the road after your done with the restore. I'm holding on to a nice'72 grille, just in case the deer are out going to Carlisle. I've gone through totes of parts I kept after my restore and have gone from 4 to 2 totes selling what I can. gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2589.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 420ponies said:

Those parts might come in handy later on down the road after your done with the restore. I'm holding on to a nice'72 grille, just in case the deer are out going to Carlisle. I've gone through totes of parts I kept after my restore and have gone from 4 to 2 totes selling what I can. gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2589.jpg

Jim, Does this mean you are bringing the Monte to Carlisle after all?

rob

On 5/11/2022 at 10:34 AM, abcdefghii said:

About 9 years ago now my father in law bought this 71 Monte Carlo, running and driving, but in need of restoration. As time has passed and he gets closer to retirement, he's lost interest, wants to put his spare income towards retirement and so the car is now coming to me in order to finish it and get it back on the road. First though, I have a garage / workshop that  needs to be built (it's about halfway done at the moment, stupid COVID + the insane cost of materials are slowing it down massively). I can't find pictures of the car when we first picked it up, although I know I have a bunch, as well as various pictures through the tear down of it. Here's where it sits currently, in need of blowing the dust off...

The bodywork and frame are all done, suspension and brakes done, transmission rebuilt, engine rebuilt (mostly). So looking at it I don't think it will take a huge amount to get it back on the road, I believe a bunch of the trim is in a barn nearby, but I need to determine what there is. I think to get it on the road I need:

Interior

Wiring

Exhaust

Drive shaft

Lights

Bumpers, trim, grill

Finish the engine - It's a 350, likely going to go with a fuel injected set up. 

Maybe I am missing something, I think that is the bulk of it though. I'm torn on whether to add a vinyl top, I wanted to add one, but someone mentioned that they can be problematic with regards to rust, which I'd like to avoid. It'll likely be kept garaged and not driven in the rain, so maybe it's a moot point, but still something to think about. The goal is to simply have it finished as a nice car to cruise around in, not worried about originality or performance, just want it to be back on the road where it should be. 

Once I get it here and start to work on it, I am sure I will have a ton of questions, likely beginning with what should I do first... I'm thinking either get the engine and transmission complete and in, or wiring harness. One of those, then get the exterior complete, before finally working on the interior. 

So, hopefully, in the not too distant future this will be back on the road.

PXL_20220510_220136180.jpg

PXL_20220510_220122625.jpg

PXL_20220510_220047361.jpg

PXL_20220510_215906249.jpg

PXL_20220510_220015774.jpg

PXL_20220510_215858331.jpg

PXL_20220510_215844308.jpg

PXL_20220510_215832081.jpg

PXL_20220430_232621197.jpg

Looks great 👍 

• Like 1

That's a big negatory there Big Ben. The Monte is far from being on the road this year. Still buying/ building the 427 BBC for it. Good news is that the 12 Bolt is all back in and now back on the ground.gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2588.jpg

On 5/12/2023 at 2:41 PM, 420ponies said:

Those parts might come in handy later on down the road after your done with the restore. I'm holding on to a nice'72 grille, just in case the deer are out going to Carlisle. I've gone through totes of parts I kept after my restore and have gone from 4 to 2 totes selling what I can. 

I went through a bunch of it at the weekend, there are likely pieces I will ultimately sell (I don't know that I have anywhere to store them) but some of the smaller pieces I will ultimately keep. For sure, it's unlikely I will sell anything until the car is complete. Unlikely I will keep everything though, for example, including the 2 I have on the car, I have 8 taillights, while keeping a pair of them makes sense, keeping 3 spare sets might be a little overkill

Which leads me to a question... 4 of the doors have glass in them, given that I cannot wind the window up is there a way to remove the glass? One pair of doors has electric windows, ideally I want to get everything out of that door to use in mine. I was not sure if the inner skin could be unbolted from the outer in order to access everything in there. 

If you can get to the motor on the doors, a jumper pack works well. Get some 12 gauge wire. Power and ground .3 prongs ,one power , others go each way , up/ down. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 11:52 AM, 420ponies said:

If you can get to the motor on the doors, a jumper pack works well. Get some 12 gauge wire. Power and ground .3 prongs ,one power , others go each way , up/ down. 

That's a good idea, I was thinking though that for now at least, I am going to leave the glass in those doors. Should keep them pretty safe and less chance of them getting broken. 

Not much progress at the moment (still) but found out the other day that somewhere all the fuel lines and brake lines have been purchased, so I just need to pick those up and can get them installed. The transmission is fully rebuilt, similar situation to the fuel and brake lines, I just need to locate it and pick it up. There may be other things at this point, I know there are 6 plastic totes of parts at my in-laws. 

Sad news though, I found out that a complete dash got thrown away at some point. I have a pair of dash's without any gauges in them, just of course, the one I really needed somehow ended up getting tossed. 

50/50 on heading up to Carlisle GM Nationals in a couple weeks, was just up there for Ford Nationals for the weekend but debating a day trip for GM. Mostly to take a look at complete cars, but may scout around the swap meet a little as well.

(Hoping my membership updates to paid member soon). 

I hope you do both. Plenty of people have gone up just for the group without their car, me included. It’s a great time and you can pick the brains of the 71SS owners. If you pick mine you better wear gloves, there’s a lot of €£¥# up there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Kook 1

Seems more vendor's are getting back for this meet. There is 1 in particular that has a bunch of Monte parts. I think he's a member of the Club. He usually gets on and asks you what you're in need of just before the Mini-Meet.gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2588.jpg

Unlikely I'll be buying anything this time, if I head up it'll be more of a fact finding trip than anything else.

Now, once I've gotten through all the various parts in different locations and know what I have vs what I need, that'll be a different story.

Edited by abcdefghii