speedo cable

I have gone thru 2 speedo cables in the last year. It seems the clip on the back of the speedo doesnt hold possibly!! It works for a week or two and then the needle starts shaking and then it finally spins off right at the transmission!!! Some advise would be appreciated!!! Maybe it is the chinese made cable or is it that their is no lube inside the cable????

On 5/29/2023 at 6:37 AM, CHRIS SATO said:

I have gone thru 2 speedo cables in the last year. It seems the clip on the back of the speedo doesnt hold possibly!! It works for a week or two and then the needle starts shaking and then it finally spins off right at the transmission!!! Some advise would be appreciated!!! Maybe it is the chinese made cable or is it that their is no lube inside the cable????

Does your car have cruise control?  If so, it could be binding up in there, causing the cable to snap.  I'm buying a cruise control eliminator for mine until I can get it rebuilt.  It is simply a module that bolts in place of the cruise control and bypasses it.

On 5/29/2023 at 7:37 AM, CHRIS SATO said:

I guess I'm not totally understanding,   where exactly is the cable going bad?  Did you change the cable and housing or just the cable, sounds like it may be falling out of the back of speedo and possibly binding up. Yes the cable should have some kind of lube on it but not a lot, a thin layer of Greece usually works. Possibly a kink in the housing may be causing a little binding. If it were me I'd probably change the cable and housing and see what happens.  Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Sounds like a binding issue. 

Is the cable the right length ?

If the clips, which only hold the housing, are coming loose, then the cable is no longer making full contact in the drive/driven gear and the cable will become over stressed as it moves up and down in the housing. 

Lube is also a good idea. 

You don't have any photos of how the cable runs under the car to the tailshaft, do you ? 

On 6/2/2023 at 11:54 AM, NavyCPO said:

Does your car have cruise control?  If so, it could be binding up in there, causing the cable to snap.  I'm buying a cruise control eliminator for mine until I can get it rebuilt.  It is simply a module that bolts in place of the cruise control and bypasses it.

i would be very interested in how u make out and where to purchase...basically just a coupling for the 2 cables?? then if anyone wants the actual cruise unit i will donate it    thanks!!

23 hours ago, Blake350 said:

i would be very interested in how u make out and where to purchase...basically just a coupling for the 2 cables?? then if anyone wants the actual cruise unit i will donate it    thanks!!

Well my cruise control eliminator did not get my speedometer working.  I think it must be a broken cable or gear in the tranny.  My cruise control was bad, and is probably what broke the cable or the gear.  The CC eliminator is basically just the front half of the cruise control unit without the electonic/vacuum parts mounted to a flat plate that bolts in place to the same mount for the CC.  I found it on Ebay by searching for Cruise Control Eliminator.  There are also rebuilt cruise control units on Ebay.  See the photo's........................... The first one is the CC Eliminator, 2nd one is the back of it and how it mounts,  3rd one is my original CC Unit and in the 4th one you can see how the inside of the lower cable (transmission side) looks to be missing.  The CC Elimintaor has gear all the way to the snout and on my original it looks hollow in the hole.  Probably broken or worn off inside there. Thought this would be my speedometer working but looks like it snapped the cable or stripped the gear and my problem is further back.  I'll post what I find on here.

20230605_124141.thumb.jpg.7eafcd9df78ba0f789f41a4613fe6771.jpg

20230605_124111.thumb.jpg.1bdf1e924b76fc956b580e3aaa23561f.jpg20230605_124205.thumb.jpg.51ac9683f6b0097b9e234fa5f37cf40f.jpg20230605_124218.thumb.jpg.b39b13409664b6e63086b473f171c11a.jpg

1 hour ago, NavyCPO said:

Well my cruise control eliminator did not get my speedometer working.  I think it must be a broken cable or gear in the tranny.  My cruise control was bad, and is probably what broke the cable or the gear.  The CC eliminator is basically just the front half of the cruise control unit without the electonic/vacuum parts mounted to a flat plate that bolts in place to the same mount for the CC.  I found it on Ebay by searching for Cruise Control Eliminator.  There are also rebuilt cruise control units on Ebay.  See the photo's........................... The first one is the CC Eliminator, 2nd one is the back of it and how it mounts,  3rd one is my original CC Unit and in the 4th one you can see how the inside of the lower cable (transmission side) looks to be missing.  The CC Elimintaor has gear all the way to the snout and on my original it looks hollow in the hole.  Probably broken or worn off inside there. Thought this would be my speedometer working but looks like it snapped the cable or stripped the gear and my problem is further back.  I'll post what I find on here.

20230605_124141.thumb.jpg.7eafcd9df78ba0f789f41a4613fe6771.jpg

20230605_124111.thumb.jpg.1bdf1e924b76fc956b580e3aaa23561f.jpg20230605_124205.thumb.jpg.51ac9683f6b0097b9e234fa5f37cf40f.jpg20230605_124218.thumb.jpg.b39b13409664b6e63086b473f171c11a.jpg

Why don’t you just get a regular speedometer cable and just eliminate the cruise control for now ? You can repair the cruise unit later. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dtret said:

Why don’t you just get a regular speedometer cable and just eliminate the cruise control for now ? You can repair the cruise unit later. 

Well, I was hoping that the cruise control unit was the problem and that the Eliminator would get me going but it didn't.  So now I need the speedometer cable from the unit to the tranny because I think the binding cruise control snapped the cable.  I'll just buy the Tranny cable and get the CC fixed later and not buy two speedometer cables.  Plus I know I'm good to the dash so that cable is good and I don't have to crawl around under the dash and fight the back of the speedometer.  I hate crawling around under the dash!  LOL Not sure which cable I need either, they show about 3 or 4 different ones. I already have the Eliminator so I'll use it in the interim and I'll have it onhand for future use or if someone else needs one for temporary like me. Gonna measure it tomorrow and see.  Worked on headlights and washer motor today.

On 6/4/2023 at 1:17 PM, Blake350 said:

As Dennis said in his response to me, You could just buy the LONG speedometer cable and bypass it that way, but I planned on getting a replacement cruise control module and thought the eliminator would get me going.  But my second cable must be bad too.  Probably snapped because of the sticky CC unit.  So now I have to buy that cable too and hope that the gears are ok or I may have to replace them too.  Kind of trouble shooting as I go.  Not the best way, but I'm jumping from thing to thing a bit now, so not so methodical like I would normally be.  Anyway, here's the link to the cruise control eliminator https://www.ebay.com/itm/252622178186?hash=item3ad174878a:g:ANAAAOSwMVdYHg~I&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0GFrUwlTag6c6kMRi8BBBjjN8Y9ouot7wd2NkFiuMURrEC%2B9os0PM%2F8O1tCUOk%2FMw9iZtFgOYAYAjdOMZEKoY1MhxHvGSRNVPiCZG4I6uVgMf5troTjYJxDf1FJsI318IKMI%2F9C0db5%2BwDIj%2FbF%2BNdJ1Iq2pI6zc23SjxWWwIMWcaF7VGcL3%2FlUhTYW4u84bycAFYyVJA2yTeukyv%2FLRjF%2BF%2BqzqAC4%2F5cmfOpRZkn3ds%2F4mC6I8XcxniTrTcRg9fFXQ10N6HKiGScjSNKTh21A%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5aYwfGRYg

And here is the Speedometer Cables Rock Auto lists, I guess you could get one of the 80" as if the car didn't have cruise control and use one of those, there is a 100" at the bottom?????     https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1970,monte+carlo,5.7l+350cid+v8,1055584,interior,speedometer+cable,1440

Could you attach a drill mtr to one end of any good cable, attach it to the speedo, spin the drill mtr and see if the speedo works?

I have cruise and have replaced cables twice but I don't remember what one. (The latest was from the trans to the cruise unit and it is too long but works)