Replaced original voltage regulator with electronic regulator. Was 14.5v, Now over 17 volts?

astrochimp

Long overdue to replace the stock voltage regulator. Got the electronic regulator that looks identical to the original...direct replacement.

Now my voltage shows anywhere from 16volts up to 17.8 volts when driving around..(was 14.5 with the stock regulator).

Is this normal & safe for all the components?

THANKS FOR ANY INFO 🙈

What are you using to measure the voltage, factory dash gauge or a multimeter?

it was showing high in my after market gauges so i got the meter out and put on battery....showed over 17volts

going to try and clean up/check ground connections (that's the only thing I've seen so far online for this issue)

If that doesn't work, I'd probably try another regulator. That one may be bad.

Yup, going with an ACTUAL Duralast V series regulator. 
This was the amazon recommended' electronic regulator for classic cars(the part numbers matched up with duralast, AC delco, etc..) . The reviews were good but this thing CLEARLY isn't working right and is a no brand name unit.

I checked resistance between regulator ground connection and negative battery and it was .1 ohms

Edited by astrochimp

I seem to recall someone here recently had the same problem.  Changing the 'new' regulator fixed it, if I remember correctly. 

Agreed with the others who chimed in. 14.2 -14.5 is max unless you have a 16v battery, which I don't think you have. 16v is Mostly for racing. 

Is there an adjustment port/screw on the electronic one you just installed that could be possibly adjusted? 

17 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Is there an adjustment port/screw on the electronic one you just installed that could be possibly adjusted? 

unfortunately, no.

Looking forward to getting electronic one that works. When it's HOT out...my voltage drops on my gauge and I'm pretty sure it's due to the original style magnet/spring or whatever is in there regulator. 

Edited by astrochimp

I just had the same issue, overcharging. I bought a new replacement AC-Delco regulator. But you have choices and need to specify which one you want. AC-Delco manufactures their parts in China, Mexico and the USA. You must specify when ordering AC-Delco parts. 

Is that VR715 electronic reg made by WELLS?   they  use the vr715 p/n    people in various forums seemed to have good luck with them in old gm vehicles 

let us know how you do... I'm ready to replace the original reg in my 72   and was looking at the wells vr715...       thanks

Installed the Wells VR715 and it works perfectly. Solid 14Volts. No worries about fluctuation due to heat or other random things.

This is one of those no brainer swaps...like when i changed points out with pertronix point replacement kit. 

• 2 weeks later...

nice!! ive been getting 'flickering' forever and its the old style regulator...may even be original....  going to autozone and grabbing the vr715  will also post results...

• Like 1