Shifter Cable Source

201fireman

Looking for a good brand a part number for a shifter cable for my 72 with a 489/TH400. I have a floor shifter and bought one that should have fit but it's too long. I need a 29 3/4" and OPGI is backordered 6 weeks at least.  Anyone know of any that are 29 3/4"?

Try Shiftworks. Part number: K100-30

https://shiftworks.com/products/30-shift-cable

Summit, Jegs, SS396, ebay, all have it, as well as direct from Shiftworks itself.

FWIW, OPGI is my last choice for parts. Always backordered, and stupid high shipping prices on some parts (for no logical reason at all).

• Like 3

Like Joe stated, there are a lot of sources. Also any Chevelle parts place that Joe didn't mention. 70-72 cable.

Also, make sure you have good grounds on your car otherwise the shift cable could be used and weld itself to the inside casing and become useless. Aks me how I know. Lol

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Also any Chevelle parts place that Joe didn't mention. 70-72 cable.

I looked up the GM equivalent number that Shiftworks listed (GM part # 3956765) to see what was out there. Hoped there was an actual GM part still available, but most places just list a reproduction cable made by OER, about $20 cheaper than the Shiftworks part.

Some of the reviews on Summit weren't favorable at all, & people said they got the SW cable afterwards, lol. Then again, some of those reviews are pretty old, and who knows what those people may have done during the installation (maybe using it as a ground cable like you mentioned 😄). Probably thousands of them out there that work just fine. I did use a SW cable (32 inch) when I put a 4L85E trans in my Monte & it seems to be a good piece.

• Like 4

I put the Shiftworks cable in my 71. It lasted about 20 shifts and the crimp came apart. I tried to contact ss396 to see what they can do with it and got no response. I called Shiftworks, told them them all the above and they shipped out a new cable that day. Didn’t want the old one back so I recrimped the end and it’s still in the car. So good customer support in standing behind their product. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

So good customer support in standing behind their product. 

I misplaced some instructions at the time for the 4-speed automatic shifter conversion kit & a quick phone call solved it real quick, they emailed it immediately.

Spoke to the owner a few times prior to that, when looking for the factory VOLT meter replacement of the original AMP gauge our cars came with. Nobody had it in stock, so I called. The owner was very candid and forthcoming with information regarding a new vendor they had sourced, as they had sold out of the original supply. He wasn't pleased with the quality at the time and I was a bit surprised, but impressed he was truthful about it. As you said Dennis, seemed like good customer service to me. 

• Like 5

Thanks guys. I just installed the shiftworks cable.  Now the next question, there are a few different places to adjust the shift linkage between the trans and the shifter (both ends of the new shiftworks cable, slot in the left arm of the shifter itself, rod coming from the shift cup bracket coming off the frame, etc.).  Is there a correct process to start from scratch to get things lined up correctly?