Water leak on Driver Side floor board

Found one problem with a 71 Monte I just bought. from underneath I thought there was just a little rust on driver side floor pan. When I got home my wife Kathy started cleaning the interior of the car and found the carpet and insulation soaked with water so we cut it all out and floor board was very rusty. I took the hose and ran water down the channel below the wipers and it runs right down the angled part of the floor board inside. I had this same problem with a 1981 Camaro that I bought New. took it back to the dealer 2x and they didn't fix it. I finally fixed it myself. I put my arm down in there, and every seam that I felt ,I coated it with tar with my hand. and that fixed it. I think I will try that on this car. Anyone have any other ideas? It's a shame because the rest of the car is solid. It just needed new accessories and brake hoses and belts and radiator hoses.

20230603_184757.jpg

20230603_184815.jpg

• Like 1

Take the inner kick panel vent out. You'll be able to look right inside that cowl area. You may be able to look up that area from underneath as well.

• Like 1

I’m sorry, I quit reading after: 

“When I got home my wife Kathy started cleaning the interior of the car…”.

Can she teach my wife this?  Such skills seem to elude my “better half”.  My Crown Vic has never been so neglected since she gangstered it from me to use as her daily driver. 

• Haha 3

unless i am mistaken the water from the cowl area is supposed to drain from the lowest part of the fender. The drain channel may be clogged as well if none of the water came out there as well as the floorboard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbolt said:

unless i am mistaken the water from the cowl area is supposed to drain from the lowest part of the fender. The drain channel may be clogged as well if none of the water came out there as well as the floorboard. 

It does drain there Jim. It's also a place that gets rotted, because of all the leaves, silt, etc. that plugged up that drain area in the first place.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Whons said:

Joe, what to you mean by "the lower kick panel vent"

The vent near your feet. 

22 minutes ago, Whons said:

Glen, My Wife just loves to clean anything. She likes this car better than the one I'm selling.

My wife ( rest her soul) loved to clean as a matter of fact she owned a cleaning business for many years and did houses and commercial buildings but wouldn't clean the cars. My girlfriend now has no interest in cleaning her car let alone mine. I detailed her car for her birthday last year and it came out great guess I'll have to do it again for her. As far as the monte she don't clean that either. My Monte is also blue think she'd like to clean that too 😅 I don't have any water leaks, well a couple minor ones. It's good that she likes to help you.

• Like 1

If any of your seam sealer is cracked on the cowl area, that's a good place for water to enter the floor board area too. Replaced all mine19 yrs ago, no issues.... Yet.

Edited by 420ponies
Spellcheck
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 6:48 AM, cbolt said:

When I put my hand down the cowl from the top I don't feel a wall on the back side. The cowl doesn't go all the way down .I can reach inside the car. On my 1970 it's solid all the way down. I think that part of the  cowl was never put in at the factory 3rd