Small Victories! Followed by more puzzling details......

Well yesterday I got my speedometer issue fixed finally!!!!  Pulled the tail shaft housing off the tranny and low and behold there was the retaining clip laying there all lonely and stuff.  Gave it a little bend outwards to rejuvenate the spring tension and slapped her back under the tail shaft speedometer gear and seems to be holding securely, so should be fixed.  YAY!!!!  

Moved on to the Fast Idle Solenoid issue that is not kicking on when I turn on the A/C and found voltage to be getting there but solenoid is dead.  Went online to find a replacement, and they are nowhere to be found.  I found an old post from 2006 or 2008 (can't remember which) that said Borg Warner ECS49 but couldn't find that anywhere either.  Holley, Demon and Quickfuel make an aftermarket one but they want a fortune for them.  Can't find it on Rock Auto, Year One, MuscleCar.com, checked several other sites with no joy.  I may see if I can repair mine (after all it's just a coil with a plunger in it) or I may use a known good one that I pulled off of an old quadrajet that I had sitting around, but then I'm making that quadrajet incomplete.  I may be able to repair this original part.  We shall see.....  Pinion Seal tomorrow to shore up that leak.  Film at 11:00.................

• Like 6

Good luck on the pinion seal. Make sure the shaft isn’t worn.. mine was.. sounds like you have things in control.. good job 👍🏻… 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2023 at 8:40 AM, 1970mcss said:

The solenoid you are looking for is GM part number 1114421. I see a few on ebay. 

Wow! They sure are proud of these aren't they!  I used the one off of an old quadrajet that I had laying around for now.  I will probably order one of these at a later time and put a new one on when I do the motor swap.  Hopefully this Winter.  Thank you for locating this for me!  Much appreciated!

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 8:06 AM, Searsman said:

Good luck on the pinion seal. Make sure the shaft isn’t worn.. mine was.. sounds like you have things in control.. good job 👍🏻… 

Got the seal changed out with no problem. Easy Peasy!  One of the easiest things I've done on the car yet.  LOL

On 7/20/2023 at 1:53 AM, NavyCPO said:

Well yesterday I got my speedometer issue fixed finally!!!!  Pulled the tail shaft housing off the tranny and low and behold there was the retaining clip laying there all lonely and stuff.  Gave it a little bend outwards to rejuvenate the spring tension and slapped her back under the tail shaft speedometer gear and seems to be holding securely, so should be fixed.  YAY!!!!  

Moved on to the Fast Idle Solenoid issue that is not kicking on when I turn on the A/C and found voltage to be getting there but solenoid is dead.  Went online to find a replacement, and they are nowhere to be found.  I found an old post from 2006 or 2008 (can't remember which) that said Borg Warner ECS49 but couldn't find that anywhere either.  Holley, Demon and Quickfuel make an aftermarket one but they want a fortune for them.  Can't find it on Rock Auto, Year One, MuscleCar.com, checked several other sites with no joy.  I may see if I can repair mine (after all it's just a coil with a plunger in it) or I may use a known good one that I pulled off of an old quadrajet that I had sitting around, but then I'm making that quadrajet incomplete.  I may be able to repair this original part.  We shall see.....  Pinion Seal tomorrow to shore up that leak.  Film at 11:00.................

Well I have been absent from here lately and delinquent on working on the Monte too as I've been busy with other things and plus it has gotten extremely hot, and too hot for me to work in the garage for a while.  Sometimes I can go in there at night, but the sun sets West and it bears down right on my garage door and side of the garage and it get HOT in there.  The little A/C I have in the Window ain't cuttin it.  A bigger A/C is on my wish list...LOL  However, I did go ahead and use the fast idle solenoid off of the old quadrajet I had in the shop and got it to fit pretty good.  It's not original but it's almost the same I just had to bend the contact 90'.  Works good lasts a long time I hope.  I will probably change it out when I do the motor swap later with the correct one.  Still have not driven the car since I got the speedometer fixed as I've gotten busy lately with other things.  But still making progress on getting things straightened out with the ol' girl. 

Hope everyone is staying cool, and enjoying this hobby of ours.  Fall is almost here and we'll have some cooler weather soon.  Can't wait!  Use to like Summers, but not now, Spring and Fall for me now baby!!!!

Don't you hate it when life gets in the way of you car obsession I do but that's a part of it. We could use some of that heat up here I'm not happy until it's 80 or above.they say we've had a warmer summer here but I don't really think so. Only 70s and lower 80s some days and cooler nights in 50s and 60s now, a little cooler than I like it. My life and an injury has got in the way this summer for sure. Hopefully it'll get better soon!

• Like 1