Steering wheel having to much play

Dylan5321

If the front end was never rebuilt, I would start there. There are complete rebuild kits out there. I like the kits from PST. Don't forget the center link, idler arm and tie rod ends. They can all contribute to steering play.

If that still doesn't resolve the issue, I would recommend replacing the steering box. I like the kit from Borgeson.

Good luck!

I recently replaced the tie rod ends and center link on mine.  Everything else was in great shape.

I'd get an opinion from an alignment shop.  It could be many things contributing collectively… 

It's usually the weakest link that wears first.

Hopefully it'll be a simple fix and it's the tie rod ends and center link. Start here, but check all of them.

Any movement on any joint will magnify itself at the steering wheel. 

From the way you're describing it, I'd agree with Steve...... Start with the gear box. Delayed response sounds like a failure there.

Depending on which way you're going with your Monte, there are several aftermarket options. If you want that "original" look, the box is fairly generic (newer versions will require a "metric" conversion kit). Or you can rebuild it as well.

Mine had a definite missing spot when I first bought her, so I went the easy route and found one from a mid '90's Jeep Grand Cherokee at a local wreckers. It was pretty much a straight bolt in. 

I used to do this to my old 54/56 Mercury's and 56 crown Vic. 

Speaking of throwing parts,,,,  It solved the problem and was a lot cheaper. 

Screenshot2023-10-28at12_27_53PM.thumb.png.fc291606d061b2ddbea86ba8470da98e.png