Interesting new transmission

Paul Bell

Found this:

19154550 GM Performance Parts SuperMatic 4L85-E Transmission Hydr-Matic 4L85-E Four-Speed Automatic Transmission. GM Performance Parts is pleased to announce the new SuperMatic line of Performance transmissions. It is compatible with all GM Performance Parts Crate engines and was specifically validated with the mighty ZZ572/720. This transmission is assembled with all new parts, several upgraded internal components, and a revised valvebody. This transmission is supplied with a production torque converter (approximately 1,800 - 2,000 rpm stall speed), and requires the GMPP Transmission Controller P/N 12497316 (sold separately). Supported by GM performance Parts standard limited warranty of 12 months/12,000 miles

Looks to be three grand at Scoggin-Dickey.

Monte70car, I saw that. Being that a 4L60E is based on a 700, the hard parts fit the non-computer controlled 700 housing. It's a fairly common swap. Incidently, the 1993 4L60 transmissions weren't computer controlled.

Yup, the 4L65 is a pretty stout unit. They blow up less often than the 4L60 units.

For any sort of performance or hard driving, it's just a matter of time before they go south. The TH400 or 4L80E/4L85E is the way to go.

The purpose of my posting info about the new GM SuperMatic transmission is to get that level of strength from a performance transmission shop, you'd need to spend five grand. This is a way to save some bucks.

Quote:
Now that's the way to go, pretty much bullet proof...I love mine...grin

I've had mine for almost 2 years and it has been flawless. I live mine too!

Nygel

I'm waiting for GMPP to bring out the 6L80E as part of their line up. It's currently being used in trucks, G8 GT's, Corvette's, the new Camaro, and probably more. From what I've seen of the internals it looks like it can hold as much power as a 4L80E and a that tranny holds 900HP in stock trim.

• 1 month later...

I am ready to do something.

Not happy with 4,000 rpm at 85 mph.

LS-6 454, stock cam, 3.31, 275/60/15, TH400.

I'm thinking GV or 4L85-E.

I'd hate to have to pound my floor.

But I can't see that nearly as much

as I do the inverse relationship

between my tach and gas gauge.

• 7 years later...