Defroster Duct Fitment

Tmac

This is the defroster Y duct that attaches to the top of the heater box. it is screwed into the holes up by the windshield but does not sit down tight on the vent in the top of the heater box. I cant push the heater box up anymore and i am not finding a seal or anything that would fill this 3/8-inch gap. is it supposed to be there, what am i missing? I posted this on the Monte Carlo facebook pagedefrostergap2.thumb.jpg.e1944f58afdcbbcb724abb2430cdfc20.jpgdefrostduct.webp.3605623527d28213195b6c52db096d99.webp also.

My old memory wanted to believe there's a rectangular foam seal that went in there, but checking the Factory Assembly manual shows no seal. I also checked the 69 Camaro manual, because that's what the old memory may have been thinking...no seal there either.

Looked at some of the available HVAC box seal replacement kits and don't see that seal in any of them either.

ac box seal.JPG

• Like 1

We went through this on another post a long while back. The gap is correct although you, and I also, wouldn’t think so. My 71 also has the gap and I still don’t know that I like it. But it is correct. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

My old memory wanted to believe there's a rectangular foam seal that went in there, but checking the Factory Assembly manual shows no seal. I also checked the 69 Camaro manual, because that's what the old memory may have been thinking...no seal there either.

Looked at some of the available HVAC box seal replacement kits and don't see that seal in any of them either.

ac box seal.JPG

I couldnt find anything either, thanks for the research and the pic, its alot better view than mine!!!!! Thank you for your service!

• Thank You! 1

53 minutes ago, Dtret said:

We went through this on another post a long while back. The gap is correct although you, and I also, wouldn’t think so. My 71 also has the gap and I still don’t know that I like it. But it is correct. 

yeah, in my mind it just doesnt work, LOL! thank you for the answer. I gues we'll leave it then

I would try some sticky, rubber back insulation tape. has the rubber membrane in it and does not get effected by heat. Not fat mat but something you'd get form Lowe's or Home depot or ACE Hardware.I'm thinking mine has the crappy foam. I'll check and let you know.post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

There are two different true lengths. I discover that when I was putting mine back together. Had two different ones. Buy 2” black gorilla tape. It’s real sticky.