class is in

willie

3 hours ago, willie said:

Yes Tom its the top part where the head sits on the block, not the head itself.  He said if it was a number matching  engine to the car he would do it. But because its not, he suggests not to bother, just use one of the others.   Tkx for the offer Tom, but now i have to rethink my plans. Good thing is i can move around the car a little better now!!!   lol

What are you going to do with the junk block. I’m might need it for my chevelle. I can fix it. ( lol add it to the list). I have some blocks here that might suit your needs. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 7:01 AM, Paul D Valle said:

If it's a 4 bolt main block dated late 69 then it is a valuable 1970 LS6 BLOCK.

Chris White, who restores '70 LS6 cars may want to purchase it.

Good Luck

My 454 block is code CPD, which is a '71 LS5. It's also a 4 bolt main block and it has a forged steel crankshaft. Some LS5s are 4 bolt. 

Dan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chevy Dave said:

Does a 4 bolt LS5 block have a different casting number than the 2 bolt blocks?

No. Mine is 3963512, CPD, cast in late '69, installed in an early '71 model at the Leed's plant in KC. Not original to my car. The original owner lived in KC and was a drag racer. He's the one that put this engine in my car. 

Dan

Screenshot_20231211_115741_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 11:04 PM, overdrive said:

My 454 block is code CPD, which is a '71 LS5. It's also a 4 bolt main block and it has a forged steel crankshaft. Some LS5s are 4 bolt. 

Dan

Perhaps the casting date can explain why a '71 LS5 block has 4 bolt mains. A late '70 casting may have been used since there were no LS6 engines put in production cars in 1971.

Also, it is possible that an engine rebuilder added 4 bolt main caps to the 512 block for racing purposes.

There is no reason to specify 4 bolt mains for a stock LS5 which was detuned in 1971 with open chamber heads and a mild hyd. cam.

Also, all 512 blocks are not the same. All LS6 blocks were machined for 4 bolt main caps and also oil cooling add ons. LS5 blocks do not have special provisions for oil cooling.

One way to verify a LS6 block is to look for a plugged port on the driver side of the block behind the oil filter.

Hope all this adds to the confusion 😕 

Merry Christmas to all🎄

Thanks. What does the special provision for oil cooling consist of? I only took these 2 photos while I had the engine apart. 

The original owner that built this engine was a racer. He regularly raced a V8 Vega, but I know he raced my car at least once. A time slip was found in the console glove box. 

Dan

Screenshot_20170910-193320.png

Screenshot_20170910-193248.png

This article talks a little about an LS5 having 4 bolt mains. 

https://www.corvsport.com/1970-454ci-ls5-v8-engine/

I found another photo of my block. Was the large oil fitting not used on a 2 bolt bolt main cap LS5?

Dan

Screenshot_20231212_220255_Gallery.jpg