AAW classic wiring kit install

Tmac

It's time for wiring the '70 up! I have been putting it off as long as i can and now it's time to start, so i will apologize now for the "obvious questions" i'm gonna ask! 😁 With that being said here goes........

#1 Any tips before i get started?

#2 i believe the dome light routes across the roof to the drivers side then along the roof and drops in behind the sail panel and plugs into the harness behind the upper half of the back seat. i have enough wire that i was gonna run it like that but slip it thru the package tray,instead of behind the back seat, and put the connector in the trunk. i don't know what it would hurt, any thoughts?

I have never rewired a Monte but I will make a very important suggestion.  As you disassemble to remove the old wiring take a lot of pictures.  When you feel you have taken enough pictures, take some more.

rob

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

I have never rewired a Monte but I will make a very important suggestion.  As you disassemble to remove the old wiring take a lot of pictures.  When you feel you have taken enough pictures, take some more.

rob

I did do that, it's been a year or so ago

• Like 1

I remember when I was at GM training school they gave us each a complete wiring package and a 4x8 sheet of plywood and said lay out and make it operational. We were graded on how we did and how everything worked.  But laying it all out did help somewhat. Good luck wiring is a pain but it's wonderfull when everything works in the end.

• Like 3

I've used the AAW kits and like them. 

Tips,.. read the directions thoroughly, and also get the correct crimping tools. I like to solder the wires to the terminals too, but that's not really necessary, as long as you have a good, solid crimp. Get the non-adhesive wire loom tape if you're going for a factory type of appearance. Regular black tape doesn't work as well, especially when moving the bundle around corners, etc. The non-adhesive tape lets the bundle move around and seems to work good. Also, saves you the sticky mess down the road when working on it for whatever reason.

As far as the dome light wires, I re-use the existing wires for that. As long as the originals are in good shape, I don't like fooling with the headliner unless absolutely necessary.

If not concerned about the factory look, or for added protection in friction areas, I really like the split loom type in the link below (Holley uses the same type loom on their EFI harnesses, FWIW). I keep most of the sizes in stock here at the shop. Also have the asphalt coated stuff in stock, like the factory used around the starter area, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FW4M7Z8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The asphaltic coated looms:

https://brillman.com/product/38-inch-asphaltic-coated-wire-loom/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

I've used the AAW kits and like them. 

Tips,.. read the directions thoroughly, and also get the correct crimping tools. I like to solder the wires to the terminals too, but that's not really necessary, as long as you have a good, solid crimp. Get the non-adhesive wire loom tape if you're going for a factory type of appearance. Regular black tape doesn't work as well, especially when moving the bundle around corners, etc. The non-adhesive tape lets the bundle move around and seems to work good. Also, saves you the sticky mess down the road when working on it for whatever reason.

As far as the dome light wires, I re-use the existing wires for that. As long as the originals are in good shape, I don't like fooling with the headliner unless absolutely necessary.

If not concerned about the factory look, or for added protection in friction areas, I really like the split loom type in the link below (Holley uses the same type loom on their EFI harnesses, FWIW). I keep most of the sizes in stock here at the shop. Also have the asphalt coated stuff in stock, like the factory used around the starter area, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FW4M7Z8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The asphaltic coated looms:

https://brillman.com/product/38-inch-asphaltic-coated-wire-loom/

thanks! I like that loom also. thanks for the links, i didn't know about the asphalt stuff. i am replacing all the wires as the car is gutted so easy to do now without the headliner in.

16 minutes ago, Tmac said:

thanks! I like that loom also. thanks for the links, i didn't know about the asphalt stuff. i am replacing all the wires as the car is gutted so easy to do now without the headliner in.

In that case, if the headliner is out, makes perfect sense.

I just use the asphalt stuff around the starter area, and maybe the positive battery cable if it passes close to something  for more abrasion resistance. I'll also put it on the single temperature sending unit wire on the head if needed, so it looks factory. Looks more like old school factory. I have also used the newer type corrugated loom the factory used in the later 70's + years, but it just doesn't look right on the older cars.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tmac said:

i am going to put that asphalt on the sending wire, i like that idea.

Some sizes are available from Amazon, but more expensive. I used to get it from Ames Pontiac Performance, but when I looked thru past orders, the price has bumped up a lot. That's when I noticed one box I got from them came from 'Brillman', so a quick search of that site resulted in me ordering direct from them recently.

Here's all of their available sizes in one place:

https://brillman.com/product-category/products/products-n-suppliesspecialty-parts/products-n-suppliesspecialty-parts-wire-loom-conduit/products-n-suppliesspecialty-parts-wire-loom-conduit-asphaltic-wire-loom/

• Like 3
  • Thank You! 1

14 hours ago, Tmac said:

i dont like the corrugated stuff either. i am going to put that asphalt on the sending wire, i like that idea.

Ive always used the corrugated stuff, only because I didn't know any better 🤣 Always learning something around here 🤘

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

Ive always used the corrugated stuff, only because I didn't know any better 🤣 Always learning something around here 🤘

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just up here in Iowa the cold,I feel, makes it brittle then it cracks.

1 hour ago, Tmac said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just up here in Iowa the cold,I feel, makes it brittle then it cracks.

The original stuff that came on the later 70's+ cars was good, but you can definitely see the difference with aftermarket quality. Even from NAPA, it's thinner, nowhere near as robust as original. Still, useful in certain spots where there may be a high friction situation, where you wouldn't be comfortable with the other types of loom.   

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tmac said:

Been in Fl so long if its in the 60's I'm cold 🤣 Don't like to look of the Asphatic style but the other Joe posted looks good to me. When I did my electric fans I got the stuff from NAPA, but usually with gauges and little add on I just use the HF or whatever. 

• Like 2