12 Bolt Axle position? Which Brand of Ring and Pinion

snomobeelr

It may be nothing. The Passenger side axel appears to stick out about 1/2 inch farther than the driver side. See pictures. Does anyone know if this is normal ? Or from a previous post I had  it looks like I have a two series carrier with an adapter with a 3.73 gear.  Would that be why passenger side is out farther? 

I am planning on having the rear end done with a Eaton True Track 3 series and Moser C-Clip replacement axels.   I am going to get a new Ring and pinion 3.73 or might drop to a 3.55 not sure yet. Like everything too much info out there . Is there a certain manufacture - Brand of Ring and Pinion to go with ?   US Gear / Richmond  - Excel ? / Strange /  Motion

Axcel 1.jpg

Axcel 2.jpg

rear end carrier 1.jpg

rear end carrier 2.jpg

It is pretty much normal being 1/2"ish more to the passenger side than driver's side. Just the way GM manufactured them. 

The spacer has nothing to do with that. All the spacer does is allow the thinner 3series gears get the correct depth and mesh when using a 2 series carrier. 

• Like 2

I personally purchased a 3.31 gear, Detroit trutrac, and bearing kit from quick performance. Check out their kits. 

The axles I went with are strange c-clip street/strip axles. The builder is a strange dealer and recommended quick performance. He builds 6sec race cars, chassis and the like. My little 12 bolt was a breath of ez pz as he said. Lolol

• Like 2

I also went with the strange axles, luckily my buddy had a series 3 and 355 gears "in stock" so can't offer any suggestions there. 

(EDIT) Maybe overstating the obvious,, make sure you put the additive in when you finish the swap out 

• Like 2

• jft69z changed the title to 12 Bolt Axle position? Which Brand of Ring and Pinion

@snomobeelr Mine is about the same (axles) and I've heard others mention it as well. As far as gearing goes, I went from 3.73 to 3.08. If you have a Turbo 350 or Turbo 400 and you do any highway driving, you start to push the RPM comfort level with anything above 3.55 (in my opinion). There is a nice RPM/gear ration calculator on this page. All you need to know is your tire height and gear ratio. Pretty handy.

Good luck!

• Like 4