Tubular front control arms

I need to replace the upper ball joints and all the control arm bushings on my 71 monte carlo. I want to replace the front control arms with tubular control arms. I found some on eBay and they come with the ball joints and all bushings. I am going to replace the springs. I already ordered. Moog springs from rockauto. They had springs for ac or without ac. I ordered the ones for ac because my  car originally had ac. Now I'm wondering if those springs are too heavy.  Has anyone ever installed tubular control arms from ebay? They are way too expensive from a place like Jegs. I want to keep the stance of the front end the same. Anyone have any advice,20231124_160214.thumb.jpg.746cf3318ba5869f758966881730880c.jpg

Wayne,

I've never installed the tubular arms, but would like to know how well they work for you. Keep us posted.

Also , which ones did you choose from EBAY. I get red flags when one size fits all GM cars.. 

From the photo it looks as if your car is a bit higher in the front..  Keeping that stance and changing the springs would seem difficult. Maybe others can better advise. 

BTW,, Nice car…  

Ed

Personally, after installing tubular arms on Big Red and my son's 69 GTO convertible I wouldn't do it again. 

Both sets are off of eBay, one has the grease fittings for the lower arms on top towards the chassis making it almost impossible to grease in the future. Be aware of the fitting location. The ball joints are eighhh at best and the boots for the ball joints almost immediately start to crack and disintegrate.

I would and have used moog bushings and ball joints, purchased from RockAuto (very cheap prices) for these parts and rebuild what you have. Just, if you do go this route, make sure which lower bushings you have. Round or oval or even a mix. 

I do recommend a front coil over conversion. You can adjust your ride height to wherever you like. 

Just my .02

• Like 4

I was just thinking I could save a lot of work without changing ball joints and bushings because the tubular arms came with all them in them. Now I may just rebuild what I have. One question where do you buy the  coil over coil springs and how do you adjust them? And do they fit the stock control arms? And can you compress them with a internal spring compressor like a normal spring. I guess I can always return the springs I ordered from Rock auto. 

Tubular control arms can have a few advantages, but the cheap models typically only have the first:

Weight reduction compared to stock stamped arms. 

Shorter length for tall spindles or tall ball joints. 

Increased positive caster for a more modern alignment and performance. 

30 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

Tubular control arms can have a few advantages, but the cheap models typically only have the first:

Weight reduction compared to stock stamped arms. 

Shorter length for tall spindles or tall ball joints. 

Increased positive caster for a more modern alignment and performance. 

Sorry, I disagree. Both sets of tubular arms are heavier than the factory arms and the alignment benefits are marginal at best. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Whons said:

I was just thinking I could save a lot of work without changing ball joints and bushings because the tubular arms came with all them in them. Now I may just rebuild what I have. One question where do you buy the  coil over coil springs and how do you adjust them? And do they fit the stock control arms? And can you compress them with a internal spring compressor like a normal spring. I guess I can always return the springs I ordered from Rock auto. 

Coilovers are a shock coil combo. No spring compressor needed. Depending on whose set up you purchase, check with them as to fitting stock arms. They should. 

The spring sits on adjusters that screw onto the body of the shock giving you the height adjustability. 

After looking at the negatives and positives, I didn't view the tubular arms as an upgrade, just more Chinese junk to rust and repair down the road. I recently replaced the upper control arm bushings on the passenger side and a few steering parts, did a realignment,,, and saved a ton of money for gas.  

These coilover shocks look like a great idea, but if you had a shock go bad how easy would be to find an exact replacement. I already ordered the springs from Rock auto. I could always return them.

• Like 1

Your question on tubular control arms is a great question for the boards. I've changed mine out to UMI Performance and can say, I like what I have so far. I did the replacement ball joints(moog) on my stock upper/lower arms and control arm upper bushings also. I ran them for 4yrs and then traded them for a set of tubular arms someone was selling here to make his SS factory again. I have gotten Moog springs for the front (w/AC since I have it) and also Moog Vari-Rate springs for the rear.Those rear springs work well with however much weight you put in the trunk . I think the front springs are like 50lbs. over the stock w/o air.  It will sit around the height of your car now.  I have always cut 1 1/2 coils out of mine for the lower stance of my front end. That doesn't take away from the integrity of the spring. It drops the front about 1"-1"1/2", lets the tire fill in the wheel well. I'm going to go to coil-overs all around when I'm finished with my BBC install , for better road tuning of the car. If you have ever ridden in one that has the coil-overs, you will agree with what I'm talking about. Totally different car in my opinion. A good pair of shocks all around will also help in the suspension of your Monte Carlo. Something gas-adjust will work well.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks James for the reply. I found a pair of the coilovers on Original Parts Group for $549.99. says they are coming soon. I have a question It looks like the lower end with the adjusting nut is on the shock O.D. and the 2 ears on the shock bolt to the original shock holes. So it looks like the spring is supported by the shock and doesn't set in the pocket on the lower control arm. Is that right and strong enough? Do they give you a spanner wrench to adjust the nut?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 420ponies said:

If you have ever ridden in one that has the coil-overs, you will agree with what I'm talking about. Totally different car in my opinion. A good pair of shocks all around will also help in the suspension of your Monte Carlo. Something gas-adjust will work well.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

39 minutes ago, EVC said:

James, 

You answered all of my lingering questions about this. My springs are relatively new, (about 6 to 8 years old) and I recently replaced my old shocks with the KYB brand ordered from Amazon. I'm not liking the inconsistent way they feel on the roads I've traveled for many years.There is a huge difference and I don't trust them. 

I'm feeling the same thing with my wife's car. The passenger front shock strut getting is sloppy.  

The last shocks I put on my Monte were Gabriels and they lasted for years. The coil overs for the Monte is sounding good. Thanks for your help 

Ed C

BTW, For those who are interested,

General Yeager has a road named after him near Beale AFB … It's a treacherous road with two "thrill hills " and some sharp curves… I've been driving my Monte on this road for over 45 years and she always handles like she's on a rail , flat, even and with confidence…

The Whoopee !!!! ride over the "thrill hills " will scare the poop out of some… There is no room for error or bad shocks. Just one bad shock is all it takes.

Wonder why they named it "Chuck Yeager road " ? 

Ed C 

These coil-overs have been in the works for a long time. Yes, that will work just fine in the stock bolt location. you should have plenty of room for spanner wrench adjustment. I'm thinking you are going to also do the rear with coil-overs?   If not, it is going to feel a little different when driving. I'm wondering what the coil spring  lbs you bought were around the 500-550 lbs rating. ratings are different for SBC vs BBC motors.   EVC,    I've not had any shock fade from KYB gas -adjust  shocks on my car (had these on with the stock control arms), in fact worked better than stock replacements(ACDelco). In the last 17 yrs, believe me , I've tried lots of different set-ups. I've got Bilstien shocks on right now and like the ride with stock springs and tubular control arms. Ride is nice at 70mph.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Whons said:

Thanks James for the reply. I found a pair of the coilovers on Original Parts Group for $549.99. says they are coming soon. I have a question It looks like the lower end with the adjusting nut is on the shock O.D. and the 2 ears on the shock bolt to the original shock holes. So it looks like the spring is supported by the shock and doesn't set in the pocket on the lower control arm. Is that right and strong enough? Do they give you a spanner wrench to adjust the nut?

Don’t hold your breath with OPGI. “Coming soon” could be a year away, as some of the members can attest to. I’d find an alternative if you’re planning on going this route. Otherwise you could be on hold for longer than you think.

1 hour ago, 420ponies said:

EVC,    I've not had any shock fade from KYB gas -adjust  shocks on my car (had these on with the stock control arms), in fact worked better than stock replacements(ACDelco). In the last 17 yrs, believe me , I've tried lots of different set-ups. I've got Bilstien shocks on right now and like the ride with stock springs and tubular control arms. Ride is nice at 70mph.

Thank you,

Information provided by fellow members makes this site well worth the membership fees.

I'm beginning to think my problem may be caused by a rear bushing. The car does a slight shift in certain road and power conditions. This is something that most people would never notice. The car is aligned perfectly and never drifts. I'm now thinking it could be caused by a rear bushing.. 

I've gone thru every inch of the front steering and suspension and it's all tight as new...

If I stay with stock springs I like the idea of cutting 1 1/2 coils out. Now the springs I ordered from rock auto are for an AC car. Mine was but the ac compressor has been taken out. Should I use these springs or exchange them for stock springs w/o air 

• Like 1

If you like the stance you have now, I'd keep the current springs and save my money… If you're looking to drop the front, you can always cut the current front springs an inch or so … 

Just a note about cutting springs, they typically want you to cut the ends so they are in a straight line with each other (typically one coil, depending how it's wound). 

I just went through this on a job in the shop now (had original big block springs, but owner put a small block in it, sat too high). Tried to find springs to fit, nothing worked because MOOG eliminated a lot of part numbers.

Called a specialty spring place that was very helpful, and they also said to cut it so the ends are in line with each other. They'll make me some springs, but we figured cutting a coil off the original springs was worth a shot. After cutting one coil, it dropped more than 2 inches, despite the calculations that it would be less. Luckily, it sits good just like that, but if we don't like how the car rides after it's all put back together, we'll just order them up and go from there.

• Like 1

Yeah Joe I know the ends have to be straight in line. I'm going to have them done at a spring shop. HAPPY NEW YEAR. Thanks Wayne

• Like 2