72 Monte Carlo

I woke up this morning pumped the gas pedal a few times and when the engine started…it revs loud and the RPMs go really high as if I were pushing my foot on gas but I’m not. Not sure if I pumped the pedal too much and something triggered it. The gas pedal is in normal position. Didn’t want to put the car in gear because I wasn’t sure if it would accelerate like it sounded. I’m not a car expert so i apologize if i sound ignorant this is all new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated

When you "pump" the gas pedal, just prior to starting the engine, the Choke should close, if it's a cold engine. The choke activates the High Speed Idle allowing the engine to keep running with the choke closed or partially closed till it warms up a bit. Hitting the gas pedal with your foot quickly will (should) cause the idle to drop to the next lower level and will lower it again when you hit the pedal again or start to drive the car. Here is a picture of my 71 350 Qudrajet 4 barrel carb. See the choke blade at the top front of the carb. It is slightly closed but will close all the way if cold and when you hit the gas pedal.

IMG_0421.JPG

• Like 6

Check this out: At about 16 Minutes into the view. This is a newer choke than from 71 era but should help you see what is hapening.                 

• Like 5

Rich also try to pump it less when you want to start her. On a cold day instead of pumping her 3-4 times try 2 times and see how she reacts.

On my 71 Monte 350 Qudrajet 4bbl, if I haven't started the engine for a week or more I have to crank and crank and crank for a very long time to refill the float bowl.

Once the float bowl is filled, it starts just fine. If I start it every day, the engine starts just fine.

I have heard that this issue is a perfect reason to instal an electric fuel pump. You turn on the key, wait till the electric pump stops, then push the gas pedal down, release and start the engine.

• Like 1

Anything with a carburetor does that after sitting a week or so. The added ethanol in today’s fuels (here in Cali at least, not sure about other states) causes it to evaporate quicker. I figure the small amount of additional cranking gives a little more time to get some oil pumping before it fires.

Best thing is to start and drive you car each and every day!  🤣