Assembly manual

Hi, can anyone recommend the best source for mechanical assembly? I pulled my 70 SS apart in 1998, let it sit (garaged) for fifteen plus years, handed it off to a resto shop where it sat another six or more, before rescuing it an bringing it back home last fall. The body is back on the rolling frame, but I still need to piece the nose together and see what might be missing, or at least need tightening up, underneath. 
I pretty much remember how it came apart (with lots of pictures) but would like a good source to use the right fasteners, torque them properly, get the clearances right, etc.

Reprints of the Factory Chevelle/El Camino/Monte Carlo manuals are pretty easy to find, just wondering if I should look at anything else instead of, or in addition to that.

Thanks!
Jared

20230917_075427.jpg

20230917_075315.jpg

• Like 2

Factory assembly manual, GM Service manual, and Fisher Body manuals will all be invaluable sources of info.

As far as fasteners, I use AMK products. The most complete, accurate stuff out there. You can but complete kits, sections, individual stuff, bulk etc. Look in the 'Master Kits' and 'I-Kits' to zero in on whatever vehicle you want, and also check out the 'clips' section, etc.

https://www.amkproducts.com/

https://www.amkproducts.com/i-kits/chevrolet-individual-fastener-kits/

https://www.amkproducts.com/master-kits/chevrolet-master-fastener-kits/

Worst case, get on the I-90 and bring the car here...

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

I believe these kits (AMK) are available on Ebay as well... 

Summit, plus a few others have them too. I got my first set from there or OPGI at the time. Then I saw the info on the labels, went directly to the source after that.

Also found shipping is cheaper if you order online vs. calling them up. $10 flat fee as opposed to actual price. Go figure...

• Like 1

Just now, Scott S. said:

OH YEAH !!!!!

Hey Jared, welcome to the group. 

Scott.

Haven't seen any of your posts lately..... Still sorting through your parts warehouse ? 

6 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

With the taxes, duties, dollar difference, and shipping, sometimes Ebay's prices are reasonable.

Up where you are, things may be entirely different as far as shipping,  for sure. I have guys from Canada send stuff here, then drive over to pick it up. (Amazon, Summit, Rock Auto, etc.)

2 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Haven't seen any of your posts lately..... Still sorting through your parts warehouse ? 

Wrong Jared, I think...

• Like 1

Welcome Jared. We can get you through the questions. Post pics of what you’re looking at and we’ll get you back on the road.  Good many of us have done body of restorations/ rebuilds. Were here to help. 

• Like 2

On 2/14/2024 at 12:32 PM, jft69z said:

Up where you are, things may be entirely different as far as shipping,  for sure. I have guys from Canada send stuff here, then drive over to pick it up. (Amazon, Summit, Rock Auto, etc.)

Wrong Jared, I think...

That'd be a really loooong drive. :k

10 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

That'd be a really loooong drive. :k

For you yes, but for the guys in Niagara Falls, Ontario and a couple from the Toronto area, not so bad.

In your case, lump it in with the trip to Carlisle this year!!

• Haha 1

Montelishi spent a good deal of her life in Ontario..... But she seems to like the open spaces out here in the west. 

She's a little more rare and unique around here, and I think she likes the attention. ;)

• Like 1

Just now, Scott S. said:

Montelishi spent a good deal of her life in Ontario..... But she seems to like the open spaces out here in the west. 

She's a little more rare and unique around here, and I think she likes the attention. ;)

There's a lot of nice open areas, with a decent amount of twisty backroads in the Hamilton area. We used to take the motorcycles and my ZR1 out that way for some fun. Been a few years now since that happened.

Was only ever there once about 10-12 years ago...... Training courses in Mississauga. 

Way to much traffic !!!! 

And I'm pretty sure Montelishi's enjoying the "low salt" diet out here. 

5 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Was only ever there once about 10-12 years ago...... Training courses in Mississauga. 

Way to much traffic !!!! 

And I'm pretty sure Montelishi's enjoying the "low salt" diet out here. 

Yeah, summer time fun only. 

The closer you get to Toronto, the worse it gets, traffic wise.

On 2/14/2024 at 2:35 PM, Scott S. said:

Yeah.... You are probably right. I'd have to check my past conversations. 

That was probably me lol